*** Iran naval ships to cross Suez Canal on MONDAY *** CONFIRMED (Starfor Carrier Map page 4)

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: *** Iran naval ships to cross Suez Canal on MONDAY *** CONFIRMED (Starfor Carrier Map page 4)

Post by Godzilla85 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:26 am

Praetorian wrote:Morning Zilla,

The following article is fairly recent, from UK Reuters. Strangely enough I read another article via US Reuters this morning, which had "UPDATE-1" stating the military HAS approved passage.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/02/19/uk-egypt-iran-suez-idUKTRE71H2RS20110219

Alot of conflicting information atm.

Morning Praetorian, I guess that shouldn't suprise me with things like this...always alot of "noise". I guess it's just a matter of waiting it out

[i] Supporter of The Sock
Godzilla85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: *** Iran naval ships to cross Suez Canal on MONDAY *** CONFIRMED (Starfor Carrier Map page 4)

Post by Lime Flavoured on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 am

There have been any number of conflicting reports over the last 24 hours. We'll see soon enough I'm sure.

Lime Flavoured

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:06 am

Godzilla85 wrote:Mrs. Janey you with us this day? Anything new on this?

Hi Zilla,

John and I had a day out, but I have just got back to my desk, so will see what is happening in the world

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:08 am

Janey wrote:
Godzilla85 wrote:Mrs. Janey you with us this day? Anything new on this?

Hi Zilla,

John and I had a day out, but I have just got back to my desk, so will see what is happening in the world

Heya Janey, hope you had a good time with John, send my deepest regards. Very Happy

Godzilla85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:08 am

Praetorian wrote:http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFLDE71H1ZR20110218?sp=true

UPDATE - 3

Egypt says Iran ships can use Suez Canal

question is now when will they actually cross?

Godzilla85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:18 am

it was originally planned for this morning, but it didnt transpire. I think Iran are now playing this for all it is worth, along with wrongfooting the Israelis as best as they can

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:36 am

goodmockingbird wrote:In large percent replying to UK Guest's posts:

Here in the US, few people know enough history, or are sufficiently free from religious bias to view Israel as they view any other nation.

People -- generally speaking -- hold concepts of:

1) Being "for" something they lump together as one entity (Israel/ Jewish people/ Judeo-Christian reverence for "the Holy land") and regard the geographical nation of Israel as special and different from other nations. This is the viewpoint held largely by traditional "conservatives" and evangelical Christians.

They believe that people of Jewish heritage have an inherent "God-given" right to the land of Israel in a way that is different from the way the rest of us have any inherent right to the birthlands of our distant ancestors. This belief is hard-wired, and is held as a faith-based concept, rather than an intellectual conclussion.

2) Seemingly in stark contrast to the above, but consistently present in American culture, is a suspicion of -- and even dislike for -- "Jews", who are percieved through the lens of nearly two millenia of ethnic tension in the Europe of our ancestors.

In short, "the Jews of the Bible" -- a religious concept -- are considered noble and fine -- as long as they are over there in Israel doing Biblical type things, as compared to over here as real live people, who are considered -- let me say this gently -- somewhat unsavory.

3) Suspicion, distrust, and outright hatred towards Muslims, based upon high profile extremists and their actions. The average American is oblivious to the existence of moderate, reasonable, respectful and self-respecting Muslims who simply want to go about a wholesome life in peace.

The recent revolution in Egypt does not fit the mindset of the average American -- so people ignore it. They see a bunch of Muslims yelling, and they change the channel, end of story.

In conclusion - the average American is simply not capable of thinking things through dispassionately and coming to the "understanding" that you suggest. People ignorantly lump themselves into either the "conservative" or the "liberal" mindset, and base their beliefs on emotion and religion rather than analysis of history and fresh information.

Excellent post Smile Wish more people would be able to think rationally like you.

Having read that, I'd like to add something to this thread - thinking out loud sort of speak.

Knowing that Iran is a potential threat to Israel, due to the speeches made by Iran's President, but not necessarily with proof. Israel is trying to justify an attack against them for years now...I think this is the final showdown. Definitely Iran is being provocative and trying to get a reaction from Israel, also taking advantage of the current upheavals in the ME. Which for one put Egypt in the corner having to allow them to pass according to international treaties.
Now, Iran should have the same right as any other Nation, be it providing it's country with nuclear power plant or conducting training with other countries. However, due to Israel perceiving them as a threat, they want to justify stripping Iran of their rights.

We can not know what is on the ships, if they are really just going to Syria to conduct training exercises. However, if Israel decides to board the vessels for inspections, we might have another conflict at hand. Legally they do not have the right to board the vessels for Inspection, unless they find them in israeli water, but I doubt Iran will do that. If they attempt, this could trigger a defensive response from Iran, which may indicate they are hiding something, or not...Truth is, nobody knows, and imo, this is as chess game. Iran is trying to test how far they can go and what they can get away with, and obviously enjoying the attention and fact that Israel is "scared".

I have no doubt in my mind that both Israel and US will be watching every move of these vessels...should they dock someplace else before Syria, this may become a tricky issue (example if they dock in Russia, possibly to unload any weaponry).

Yesterday egyptian coast guard was searching boats in the Red Sea, not just checking paperwork and passengers, but actually checking the boat for weapons, which never happened before. Now if that has something to do with this issue, don't know, because there are internal issues now in Egypt that would justify this, however it was quite unusual and raised and eyebrow with me.
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 am

Janey wrote:it was originally planned for this morning, but it didnt transpire. I think Iran are now playing this for all it is worth, along with wrongfooting the Israelis as best as they can

HI Janey Wave , how are ya?

love that "wrongfooting" ... I think that's true. All we can do now is wait, no confirmation of the vessels whereabouts as of now.
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:46 am

Janey wrote:it was originally planned for this morning, but it didnt transpire. I think Iran are now playing this for all it is worth, along with wrongfooting the Israelis as best as they can

Yeah, but they run the risk of it pissing off the Israelis or making the Israelis see it as more of a threat.

Lime Flavoured

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:49 am

Babsi wrote:

love that "wrongfooting" ... I think that's true. All we can do now is wait, no confirmation of the vessels whereabouts as of now.

hi Babsi, have you heard anything on why the 5th fleet left the med. 2 days ago.no one seems to know.?
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:55 am

cab123 wrote:
Babsi wrote:

hi Babsi, have you heard anything on why the 5th fleet left the med. 2 days ago.no one seems to know.?

Hi there cab -

are you talking about the Enterprise going through the Canal heading south? I have not heard anything more than what I got from here - I have no idea. Remember, when Egypt was hot, they said these vessels will be used to evacuate US citizens. Maybe they're on the way to Gulf of Oman, Bahrain and just in case Saudi Arabia see's unrests, there's a large number of US personnel there. Just a guess...really can't say.
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:57 am

thanks Babsi .. OT have a look at lurkers post,getting bad fast now.
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moriarty on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey everyone, just some new info from Debka that I haven't seen mentioned.

Israel has learned that the Iranian cruiser Kharg is carrying long-range missiles for Hizballah which it plans to unload at a Syrian port or Beirut harbor

Granted I know Debka isn't always reliable but if this is partially what Israel thinks those vessels are carrying I think we can expect some major problems once they clear the Suez.

Moriarty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Hmm, if that is true then Israel wont be pleased at all.

Lime Flavoured

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Lime Flavoured wrote:Hmm, if that is true then Israel wont be pleased at all.

LOL that's the understatement of the year Lime. They are gonna be sooooo pissed.

Godzilla85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lime Flavoured on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Godzilla85 wrote:
Lime Flavoured wrote:Hmm, if that is true then Israel wont be pleased at all.

LOL that's the understatement of the year Lime. They are gonna be sooooo pissed.

Yeah, it was a bit of an understatement.

Lime Flavoured

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lolita on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Israel has learned that the Iranian cruiser Kharg is carrying long-range missiles for Hizballah which it plans to unload at a Syrian port or Beirut harbor
So what? Hizbullah already have ``long-range`` missiles.

Now let's say there's really M600s in that ship.. (range 250 km/solid fueled)... along with ammo, anti-air and anti-tank missiles.

A M600 weights 3.5 tons + needs vehicle to move it and launch it.
They need bullets for 10000 (maximum) fighters... for at least a month.
They need anti-tank missiles for at least a month. And unless they have enough of the RPG-29s and the Toophan 5 with two warheads, which they had in 2006, it won't be much of a threat.
They need anti-air missiles for at least a month. Unless Iran gives them loads of Misagh-2, which is comparable to the Stinger... won't be much of a threat.

The supply ship has a maximum weigh of 33 000 tons... don't know how much of that is actual storage...

So how many M600 is there really in there? 50-75?

And BTW, will Iran really cross the channel?

lolita

Back to top Go down

Post by miabelieves on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:16 pm

To Jerusalem we are heading, Martyrs in the millions

Does anyone know Egyptian on here. Babsi not here. You tube video saying 2 mill peps showed today and were chanting the above.

miabelieves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Mia, where can we find this video?! affraid

Last edited by Alaskan Girl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alaskan Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi Folks,

No more guessing. It is now completely official. Iranian ships will pass through the canal on Monday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/19/us-egypt-iran-canal-idUSTRE71I3QW20110219

Lolita, you make a valid argument, however who is to say Iran is not simply making a "test run"?

The games are about to begin. Israel the ball is now in your court.

Back to top Go down

Post by miabelieves on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:33 pm

I posted it on the Egyptian thread...I have been trying to google search it...here is one link with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLM3CswkfQw&feature=player_embedded
miabelieves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miabelieves on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Alaskan Girl wrote:Mia, where can we find this video?! affraid

and the little face you picked...was probably exactly what my face looked like when I read it...
miabelieves

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lolita on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Maybe there's really nothing on that ship... but then, why bring it along... the ship has been suspected in arms smuggling for the last few years.

Or it's just a ploy to make oil go up, to make themselves richer... and remember that for every dollar up, it costs Europe and the US 50 million $/day more in oil.

lolita

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:42 pm

miabelieves wrote:
Alaskan Girl wrote:Mia, where can we find this video?! affraid

and the little face you picked...was probably exactly what my face looked like when I read it...

Well that's what my face looked like! TY for the link.

Last edited by Alaskan Girl on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alaskan Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top