*** Iran naval ships to cross Suez Canal on MONDAY *** CONFIRMED (Starfor Carrier Map page 4)

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: *** Iran naval ships to cross Suez Canal on MONDAY *** CONFIRMED (Starfor Carrier Map page 4)

Post by Babsi on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 pm

So now it's up to General Tantawi - I bet he's non-stop on the phone with his US and Israel counterparts. I hope they do the right thing.
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: *** Iran naval ships to cross Suez Canal on MONDAY *** CONFIRMED (Starfor Carrier Map page 4)

Post by Babsi on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Tick tock tick tock tick tock....not much news to get ... it's eerily quiet...good thing or bad?
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Babsi wrote:Tick tock tick tock tick tock....not much news to get ... it's eerily quiet...good thing or bad?

Babsi I would normally say no news is good news, but in this case I hate the silence more than anything, it's creepy. Maybe it's just me since I've had a lousy day that I'm waiting for the sky to fall but I just don't like what's going on here. Iran is purposefully doing this provocation....question is why...are they keeping Israel's and everyone elses eyes busy on those ships while they do something else? So many questions and so little answers.

[i] Supporter of The Sock
Godzilla85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Godzilla85 wrote:
Babsi wrote:Tick tock tick tock tick tock....not much news to get ... it's eerily quiet...good thing or bad?

Babsi I would normally say no news is good news, but in this case I hate the silence more than anything, it's creepy. Maybe it's just me since I've had a lousy day that I'm waiting for the sky to fall but I just don't like what's going on here. Iran is purposefully doing this provocation....question is why...are they keeping Israel's and everyone elses eyes busy on those ships while they do something else? So many questions and so little answers.

First, sorry to hear you've had a lousy day...hope things will brighten up for you.

But look, it could be worse, I just went through this Revolution stress and now I can't go out alone in fear of being attacked because I may be suspected of being a israeli spy, that's pretty much a lousy day every day for me, loool. Just thought that might make you feel better Wink

And I totally agree - no news when it comes to Iran is def. not good. I wonder if the ships are going to pass? Can't find anything on the news. My guess is if they pass, should be in the Gulf of Suez now and reach the Canal within the next couple of hours or so.

Uh Oh
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Babsi, have you been able to contact your diving friends?
Alaskan Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Alaskan Girl wrote:Babsi, have you been able to contact your diving friends?

Ah yes...they saw no war ships. Today, or about now, they are in the Gulf of Suez...I will check in with them tonight if they saw anything, or later this afternoon when they return and cross the shipping channel again. Thing is, while they crossed this morning, I'm sure they were asleep, lol. But who knows.
But I can't find any news whether they got the permission to pass or where they are. I also tried to see if there's a webcam on the Suez Canal but there isn't.
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Babsi wrote:
Alaskan Girl wrote:Babsi, have you been able to contact your diving friends?

Ah yes...they saw no war ships. Today, or about now, they are in the Gulf of Suez...I will check in with them tonight if they saw anything, or later this afternoon when they return and cross the shipping channel again. Thing is, while they crossed this morning, I'm sure they were asleep, lol. But who knows.
But I can't find any news whether they got the permission to pass or where they are. I also tried to see if there's a webcam on the Suez Canal but there isn't.

It seems strange with all the webcams in the world, there isn't one on the Suez. I'll try to look for one. I'm sure you have a better idea where to look, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Also, were you serious when you said you might be taken for an Israeli spy? And I'm sorry, but I just have to ask, is it true Zahi Hawass is still in control of Egypt's antiiquities?
Alaskan Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm

From Wiki Answers:

There are no live webcams on the Suez Canal. In fact, ships using the canal are instructed to turn off their webcams if they have them onboard. This is believed to be a security issue.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_any_live_web_cams_on_the_suez_canel#ixzz1EHxHtQHV
Alaskan Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alaskan Girl on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:41 pm

A senior Suez Canal official says two Iranian warships have withdrawn their application to transit the waterway following expressions of concern by Israel over the plans.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/02/17/suez-canal-iran-israel.html#ixzz1EI3J0sRA
Alaskan Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi Alaskan Girl -
yes indeed there is a security issue with the Suez Canal, that is why there are no webcams, I also read the fact that they are required to turn everything off. Typical for this part of the world.

Re: the article that the request was canceled, we can't confirm that, because a few hours later it was said again it was on. We just have to wait until we get a news update.

Yes, Hawass is still in charge and Minister of Antiquities. Unfortunately a couple of pieces are still missing, one small statue of King Tut where he's hunting...don't recall the other piece. It's a shame really...

And yes, sadly enough, during the Revolution, State TV along with Mubarak and VP Sillyman incited some real xenophobia. Telling people that foreign infiltrators are to blame for the current "unrests", named specifically Israeli spies and Hamas. Later the Mubarak thugs tried to conduct a media blackout as you remember, so all foreign journo's were suddenly targeted. As we heard about the horrible incident with Lara Logan, she was arrested and accused of being a spy...she left the country and then returned, when she was deliberately attacked, beaten and sexually assaulted while being called a "Jew".
In my area so far it's safe, but I'm not moving out of my familiar surroundings. This restrict my work right now as I'm normally on the road and travel alot on the way up to Alexandria. I can't do that now, too dangerous. For now I'm trying to keep below the radar, not to put myself in any potentially dangerous situation until things are more stable again.

Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 am

Good morning everyone

Ive checked google news and there are no recent reports on this.

Just a reminder that the 1st Suez crossing of the day is 9am GMT, so if these 2 Iranian ships have been given a permit it is at this time they will be making the crossing.

Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 am

Strawberry wrote:Good morning everyone

Ive checked google news and there are no recent reports on this.

Just a reminder that the 1st Suez crossing of the day is 9am GMT, so if these 2 Iranian ships have been given a permit it is at this time they will be making the crossing.

Good Morning:)

I haven't heard anything either - I hope that's good news....Smile
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:25 am

This just came into google news:

Vessels intending to transit the Suez Canal must give the waterway's authority at least 24-hours notice before entering the canal.

http://www.b92.net/eng/news/world-article.php?yyyy=2011&mm=02&dd=18&nav_id=72786
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 am

Hey Babsi Smile

Hope you're OK and youre holding up through this.

There is still nothing definate there with the news and that latest news article says that there is a 24 hour period.

Perhaps when JediJaney comes in she may have some definate news on this matter for us

flower
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 am

This is a news article indirectly related:

http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/national/bipartisan_push_congress_tougher_iran_sanctions

Citing the movement of two Iranian warships toward the Suez Canal and a potential confrontation with Israel, a bipartisan group of members of Congress on Wednesday called for tougher sanctions against Tehran to thwart its nuclear ambitions.

Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:40 am

Egypt: Iran asks for warships to pass Suez Canal
By HAMZA HENDAWI Associated Press
Updated: 02/17/2011 06:46:28 PM EST

CAIRO—Two Iranian naval vessels have submitted a request to transit the Suez Canal, Egypt's Foreign Ministry said Thursday. Israel has expressed concerns over the plans, labeling them a "provocation."
Ministry spokesman Hossam Zaki said Egyptian authorities have received the request to grant the vessels passage, while a Suez Canal official said the Defense Ministry would process the application.

http://www.ydr.com/business/ci_17411614

All I couuld find so far. morning ALL
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 am

morning all,

currently there is a request with Egypt, to make the passage tomorrow morning. Iran are waiting to see if the request will be approved. Egyptian canal people say that approval will likely be given as there is no legal basis to block Iran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:33 am

Janey wrote:morning all,

currently there is a request with Egypt, to make the passage tomorrow morning. Iran are waiting to see if the request will be approved. Egyptian canal people say that approval will likely be given as there is no legal basis to block Iran

Morning Janey,

I've looked everywhere I can think of for a daily log for the suez canal. any suggestions ?
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:35 am

Good morning JediJaney and Cab

TY for the update JediJaney

Heart Flowers
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:10 am

cab123 wrote:

Morning Janey,

I've looked everywhere I can think of for a daily log for the suez canal. any suggestions ?

Morning Cabby, they don't make public any movements ahead of time for security concerns.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:22 am

Latest news article:

Iran has asked Egypt to allow two Iranian naval ships to pass through the Suez Canal, a move that Israel says will be a “provocation.”

“The request is being studied,” Hossam Zaki, a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, said today in a telephone interview in Cairo. “Whether or not they actually send them is another story.”

The vessels will go to Syria, where they will anchor “for a few days” on a trip that is “routine according to international law” and part of Iran’s strategic relations with Syria, Islamic Republic News Agency said, citing the country’s ambassador to Syria, Ahmad Mousavi. State-run IRNA cited the Egyptian Foreign Ministry as saying the request is at the next stage of the process, referral to Egypt’s Defense Ministry.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-18/iran-seeks-clearance-for-warships-to-use-suez-canal-egypt-official-says.html
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:38 am

thanks janey, I was just curious because of all the tweets FB etc. one would think any navy
vessels passing thru the canal would be of interest. If someone can tell me how to search
tweets I'd be more than happy to.
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:56 am

Hi Cab

This is a really good link that some of us have used during the protests.

If anything comes out of the suez area it should show up here.

I click on the blue area of the tweet but you can have a play around to see what is what.

http://www.mibazaar.com/meprotests.html
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 am

Morning/Afternoon all,

Just getting ready to head out to the office for the day (got the later shift...no such thing as banker's hours anymore) Will be keeping as close an eye as I can on this while at work so I'll be in and out being a friday and payday and all. Hope nothing happens and hope all is well for everyone.

Cheers!!

[i] Supporter of The Sock
Godzilla85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limpan on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:28 am

That doesn't sound good at all. But i wonder if Israel really can do anything about it. But what i understand it the first time this should happen since the revolution 1979??
Morning all!!
Limpan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top