Bahrain Protests - Rolling Thread - security forces fire into crowds

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bahrain Protests - Rolling Thread - security forces fire into crowds

Post by northerntomcat on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 pm

for the US to be dragged into a regional conflict between Shiite and Sunni's would be a true clusterfuck.
I think an International stabilization force would be a better choice here,maybe UN troops from other Muslim nations would be ok with me at least,but i don't think the King would be too happy.

Bottom line here for the fifth fleet, moving day is coming soon.

With Bahrain being an Absolute monarchy the decision rest with one person.
northerntomcat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Mexico1 wrote:Mexico1 wrote:
Bahrain doesnt deserve to be a UN member nation. Not only because of the monarchy's behavior, but also because a little tiny island that has a mercenary foreign army to suppress the small amount of residents is more akin to a pirate colony.

those are facts. Just like owned by and paid for Sadui and US.Your point being

Good point, the Saudi monarchs should be held to account for what is happening in Bahrain. The US? Well I am sure they have hospital services on one of their warships. They should offer it since the one in the so called capital is over burdened...

agree again Mex. problem is 5th fleet left Med. 2 days ago.(see Irain Thread) thanks
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lolita on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Anyone thinks that no way in hell Bahrain falls?

Saudi Arabia and the US will do everything they can to stay in power. No way it falls.

lolita

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:37 am

SMS going around IT will start around 3pm in #Bahrain. Helicopters circling above Pearl Roundabout non-stop.
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:15 am

Reporter Nick Kristof is alive and well. Here are his most recent tweets and a link to his feed:

(oldest to newest: bottom to top)

NickKristof
1. White House discusses suspending military licenses to #Bahrain: http://wapo.st/hkpmDH 1 minute ago via bitly

2. nytjim Libya protest deaths 'rise to 84' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12512536 human rights watch says 18 minutes ago via BBC News iPhone App Retweeted by NickKristof and 26 others

3. Small group of protesters just reached #Bahrain Pearl Roundabout. Police firing tear gas. Nobody shot that I can see. about 1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

4. Military vehicles continuing to leave Pearl Roundabout. I see only 1 APC left, no tanks. Police vehicles remain. about 1 hour ago via web

5. Ah, here's the #Bahrain petition against me: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/NickKristoff/ about 2 hours ago via web

6. Quite a few tanks have pulled out of #Bahrain Pearl Roundabout over last hour. I count 11 tanks/apc's left. Not sure what this means. about 2 hours ago via web

7. I hear members of the #Bahrain royal family are circulating a petition complaining about my columns. Haven't seen it yet. about 2 hours ago via web

8. If they do march, I'd bet troops will open fire again. For a ruler, killing protesters is like a drug; it's addictive. about 2 hours ago via web

9. #Bahrain Pearl Roundabout quiet now, still with lots of tanks. Mixed accounts of whether protesters will march on it today. about 2 hours ago via web
10. The backdrop for #Bahrain brutality is #Saudi backing for it. Saudi fears Shia unrest spilling into its eastern province. about 3 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/NickKristof
goodmockingbird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:17 am

– 8 mins ago
MANAMA, Bahrain – A prominent opposition leader says the withdrawal of army tanks from Bahrain's capital is not enough to open talks with rulers in the crisis-wracked Gulf nation.

Ibrahim Sharif, head of the Waad Society, is demanding guarantees that protesters can stage rallies without fear of being attacked. Waad is an umbrella group of protest factions.

cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:12 am

Bahrain Prince appeals for calm as protesters flock back to Pearl Roundabout protest site as police withdraw - AFP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:34 am

Bahrain: Key U.S. Military Hub

The tiny island nation of Bahrain plays a big role in America's Middle East strategy. In fact, more than 6,000 U.S. military personnel and contractors are located just five miles from where government security forces violently put down demonstrations last week.

So what does Bahrain get out of this relationship besides rent? It receives security guarantees from the United States.

That's just the start. The Bahraini Defense Force sends its personnel to the U.S. for training and it buys high-quality American weapons as well. American military sales to Bahrain have totaled nearly $1.5 billion in the past decade alone.

Those sales include everything from Apache and Cobra attack helicopters to F-16 warplanes, missile launchers and howitzers. Plus more than 50 Abrams tanks — some of which now patrol Bahrain's capital of Manama.

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/19/133893941/Bahrain-Unrest-Threatens-U-S-Military-Hub
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:44 am

Some intresting facts about Bahrain:
.David Frum: America can’t afford to ignore the chaos in Bahrain

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/02/19/david-frum-america-cant-afford-to-ignore-the-chaos-in-bahrain/
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uk on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:18 am

This is really a lose lose situation for those in power. I am talking about Government of Bahrain, USA and Saudi Arabia. A lose situation regrdless of outcome.
We all seem to agree that the Saudis and USA (in the background) will end up crushing the uprising even if it means killing many more.
Yes, all 3 powers will keep Bahrain in control, but what then?

1/All 3 will lose face to the world. USA'a standing as a "just" power will totally fade in the eyes of the world and will be regarded as a double standard player (this time in the open) who said yes to one revolution and no to the other.
2/People of Bahrain will not forget. If this uprising is crushed, expect waves of terrorism hitting multiple places in years to come.
3/ Russia and China will openly rebuke USA.
4/ How will USA look when they do another Veto vote in UN after this?
5/ Saudi Arabia is the hub of Muslim world because of Mecca (religious reasons). How will the Muslim world look upon them?

Either these people are going totally crazy by not learning from the very recent past, or someone is actually implementing a plan that involes all this killings.

No matter what happens now, its a lose lose situation for all 3 powers.

If USA continues supporting such nations in the middle of these killings for the sake of her gain, i can say 100%, it will not be six month before nations start to resign from United Nations and join the non-aligned. THat would bring about end of USA as a major player since no one would want to play with her any longer.

uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Aetius Romulous on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:36 am

uk wrote:This is really a lose lose situation for those in power. I am talking about Government of Bahrain, USA and Saudi Arabia. A lose situation regrdless of outcome.
We all seem to agree that the Saudis and USA (in the background) will end up crushing the uprising even if it means killing many more.
Yes, all 3 powers will keep Bahrain in control, but what then?

1/All 3 will lose face to the world. USA'a standing as a "just" power will totally fade in the eyes of the world and will be regarded as a double standard player (this time in the open) who said yes to one revolution and no to the other.
2/People of Bahrain will not forget. If this uprising is crushed, expect waves of terrorism hitting multiple places in years to come.
3/ Russia and China will openly rebuke USA.
4/ How will USA look when they do another Veto vote in UN after this?
5/ Saudi Arabia is the hub of Muslim world because of Mecca (religious reasons). How will the Muslim world look upon them?

Either these people are going totally crazy by not learning from the very recent past, or someone is actually implementing a plan that involes all this killings.

No matter what happens now, its a lose lose situation for all 3 powers.

If USA continues supporting such nations in the middle of these killings for the sake of her gain, i can say 100%, it will not be six month before nations start to resign from United Nations and join the non-aligned. THat would bring about end of USA as a major player since no one would want to play with her any longer.

All good points.

I would add that most nations "play" with the US not because they want to, but because they feel they have to. What these movements may end up proving is that no one really needs the US as they once thought they did - the world is a big and complex enough place to get along without US support. The vast amount of that American support is an exchange of arms for security, but that security is in ample supply, both economically and militarily from other places, where any is necessary at all.

China and the emerging nations have vibrant enough economies to absorb the needs of most of these troubled nations, and as you point out, non-alignment no longer appears to be as isolating as it once was. It will be hell getting there, but the long term future appears to be one of an end to American hegemony and increasing American isolation. I include both the IMF and the World bank as part of that US hegemony.

We will know when that moment of transition has arrived when Saudi Arabia either falls to the revolt, or abandons the US fending it off.

Aetius Romulous

View user profile http://www.ScreamBucket.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm

cab123 wrote:
Mexico1 wrote:Mexico1 wrote:
Bahrain doesnt deserve to be a UN member nation. Not only because of the monarchy's behavior, but also because a little tiny island that has a mercenary foreign army to suppress the small amount of residents is more akin to a pirate colony.

those are facts. Just like owned by and paid for Sadui and US.Your point being

Good point, the Saudi monarchs should be held to account for what is happening in Bahrain. The US? Well I am sure they have hospital services on one of their warships. They should offer it since the one in the so called capital is over burdened...

agree again Mex. problem is 5th fleet left Med. 2 days ago.(see Irain Thread) thanks

Hi everyone, sorry for my absence last week....

There's actually a large US Naval base at Bahrain, with medical facilities. I know, I met my 1st husband in Bahrain while he was US Navy during Desert Shield and I worked for Gulf Air.

I was really surprised to see all this spring up in Bahrain as it was already quite westernised when I lived there - bars, clubs, burger bars, pizza hut, etc. The island is only 20 miles by 40 miles and joined to Saudi Arabia by a 12 mile causeway which was always full of Saudis coming to Bahrain on a Friday. There were a lot of Philiipinos living and working in the bars/clubs, Lebonese working in shops and British expats enjoying working in a tax free country. Life there was good for most 20 years ago so I'd be interested to see what has happened.
Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Joe Bese wrote:
northerntomcat wrote:Just saw this a few seconds ago,Janey is there anything on this?

(Unconfirmed) American journalist working for @nytimesglobal died #feb14 #Bahrain
9 minutes ago via web

Hope that wasn't Nick Kristof. He's pissing them off, I'm sure:

Blood Runs Through the Streets of BahrainBy NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: February 17, 2011

As a reporter, you sometimes become numbed to sadness. But it is heartbreaking to be in modern, moderate Bahrain right now and watch as a critical American ally uses tanks, troops, guns and clubs to crush a peaceful democracy movement and then lie about it.

This kind of brutal repression is normally confined to remote and backward nations, but this is Bahrain. An international banking center. The home of an important American naval base, the Fifth Fleet. A wealthy and well-educated nation with a large middle class and cosmopolitan values.

To be here and see corpses of protesters with gunshot wounds, to hear an eyewitness account of an execution of a handcuffed protester, to interview paramedics who say they were beaten for trying to treat the injured — yes, all that just breaks my heart.

So here’s what happened:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/opinion/18kristof.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha212

This is how I remember Bahrain when I lived there 20 years ago. I was totally shocked to see all of this unfold, on the MSM, last week. It was so frustrating not being able to come here to see what was going on!

There are a lot of foreigners in Bahrain - about 7000 British expats enjoying life living and working there. Most of the Gulf Air Cabin Crew are British, French and German... well they used to be when I worked for them. I haven't seen any reports about what the situation is for foreigners or even any advice on travel restrictions - does anyone know about this please.

I've emailed a friend of mine from Bahrain (another member of Gulf Air's Cabin Crew) as I know she stayed in touch with people there. If she has anything new to tell me then I'll report it here.
Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cab123 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 am

After Military Retreats, Bahrain Protesters Are Joyous But Wary
ARYN BAKER / MANAMA Aryn Baker / Manama – 2 hrs 39 mins ago
After being subjected to a violent crackdown on Thursday and Friday, pro reform protesters flooded back into Manama's Pearl Roundabout when Bahraini security forces withdrew from the area on Saturday afternoon. In a scene of jubilation familiar to those watching Egypt's Tahrir Square after President Hosni Mubarak stepped down, crowds danced and sang and waved the red and white flag of Bahrain. Even before the last police vehicle pulled away pro-reform protesters were streaming onto the grassy slope at the center of the roundabout. One man threw his white banner, upon which PEACEFUL was written in both English and Arabic, to the ground as he knelt down to kiss the earth.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110220/wl_time/08599205277100
cab123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:13 am

Luna wrote:
Joe Bese wrote:
northerntomcat wrote:Just saw this a few seconds ago,Janey is there anything on this?

(Unconfirmed) American journalist working for @nytimesglobal died #feb14 #Bahrain
9 minutes ago via web

As a reporter, you sometimes become numbed to sadness. But it is heartbreaking to be in modern, moderate Bahrain right now and watch as a critical American ally uses tanks, troops, guns and clubs to crush a peaceful democracy movement and then lie about it.

This kind of brutal repression is normally confined to remote and backward nations, but this is Bahrain. An international banking center. The home of an important American naval base, the Fifth Fleet. A wealthy and well-educated nation with a large middle class and cosmopolitan values.

To be here and see corpses of protesters with gunshot wounds, to hear an eyewitness account of an execution of a handcuffed protester, to interview paramedics who say they were beaten for trying to treat the injured — yes, all that just breaks my heart.

So here’s what happened:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/opinion/18kristof.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha212

This is how I remember Bahrain when I lived there 20 years ago. I was totally shocked to see all of this unfold, on the MSM, last week. It was so frustrating not being able to come here to see what was going on!

There are a lot of foreigners in Bahrain - about 7000 British expats enjoying life living and working there. Most of the Gulf Air Cabin Crew are British, French and German... well they used to be when I worked for them. I haven't seen any reports about what the situation is for foreigners or even any advice on travel restrictions - does anyone know about this please.

I've emailed a friend of mine from Bahrain (another member of Gulf Air's Cabin Crew) as I know she stayed in touch with people there. If she has anything new to tell me then I'll report it here.

Heyyy Luna, it's great to see you flower

Thanks for telling us your experience about Bahrain. It makes me want to learn more about it. It seems to have a rich ancient history and I read yesterday that it is the seat of Islam and also the Garden of Eden.
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 am

Strawberry wrote:
Luna wrote:
Joe Bese wrote:

9 minutes ago via web

So here’s what happened:

Heyyy Luna, it's great to see you flower

Thanks for telling us your experience about Bahrain. It makes me want to learn more about it. It seems to have a rich ancient history and I read yesterday that it is the seat of Islam and also the Garden of Eden.

Hi Strawberry. Sorry I wasn't around last week but I have a big job coming to an end so had loads to finalise and sort out with my customer. Late nights isn't even close!

Bahrain was/is a beautiful place to live and everyone is so friendly. When you live on an island 20 miles by 40 miles you tend to get to know a lot people and that same reason kept crime low too. It was safe to hop into a car with anyone that was passing and almost everyone would stop to offer a lift even if they could only take you part of the way to your destination.

The nightlife was good with hotels like The Sheraton having regular Filipino singing groups and a nighclub in their basement. Alcohol is served in Bahrain and locals mixed with expats, military and of course us trolly dollies! lol. Some locals would be dressed in traditional attire but most of the younger ones would be dressed western style and be up for a boogie woogie, lots of fun and laughs. The Souk was the old part where haggling was still the norm and the sites and smells were wonderful... the Gold Souk was a real eye opener! I had a black Abaya that I used to wear when we went to the Souk just because it made it much easier to walk through the narrow cobbled streets without being treat as a tourist but it was acceptable to wear anything below the knee and elbow that didn't flash cleavage. It was more of a respect for their tradition that we'd dress appropriately in the Souk but in all other areas people would be walking around in shorts and t-shirts, spaghetti strap dresses, etc, etc. The 12 mile causeway that connects Bahrain to Saudi used to be jammed packed on Fridays with Saudis coming to enjoy the freedoms of Bahrain.

I shared an apartment in Manama which is where the majority of Gulf Air Cabin Crew are housed in apartment blocks. Out of all the places I've lived, in the world, I've always told my husband (2nd one! lol) that Bahrain was the best place and how much I'd love to go back there. He loves Formula 1 so I've been trying to leverage a holiday in Bahrain with going to see the Grand Prix! lol.

Sheik Isa bin Sulman Ali Khalifa is also one of the owners of Gulf Air which is based in Bahrain and flies to Europe, Asia and Australia (they may have even more routes now?).

The weather is great, everything is tax free, the people are all really friendly and there was nothing there not to like. I never saw any violence or trouble anywhere. Of course, I was 21 then and it was during Desert Shield so there were American, British and Canadian military everywhere to keep things lively! lol. There's a US Naval Base there and a British Military Base (not sure if they're Navy, Army or Airforce?). There wasn't enough room at the barracks for all the military so they were staying at the hotels, including the Holiday Inn which had really good food served in their restaurant! lol.

Anyway, it's an amazing country and the people are wonderful so I hope they get whatever they're asking for and when this is all over I highly recommend it as a place to visit. I haven't heard back from my friend yet but last time we spoke she was still in touch with people in Bahrain (she lives back in England now because Gulf Air trolly dollies had to retire at 35 when we worked for them).
Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:43 am

Luna, please check your messages Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:03 am

Janey wrote:Luna, please check your messages Smile

Brilliant Janey. Thank you so much.
Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:17 am

Bahrain today

Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:49 am

Yesterday was such a busy day that I didnt get a chance to update the Bahrain thread. Our hearts are always with the Bahrain people and their plight for freedom. The Libyan protests were gruesome yesterday and even though there is no live coverage from Libya, members of Janeys' LSN were able to listen to tweets and compile a live report of what the brave Libyan people had to endure.

Just bringing this thread upto speed and will add some stuff from yesterday.
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 am

This is from:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/

you need to read it from the bottom up as it is their live blog.

7:14pm Officials say the season-opening Formula One race in Bahrain has been called off because of the protests.

Bahrain Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa says the country must "focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain's Formula One race to a later date."

The race was to be run on March 13.

1:20pm Exiled opposition figure Hassan Mashaima told AFP he would return to Manama, as protesters gear up for a rally they hope will bring tens of thousands to the central Pearl roundabout.

"I have decided to return to my country," said Mashaima, a Shia based in London who faces charges of terrorism in his native Bahrain.

In a telephone call from the British capital, Mashaima said he would land in Manama on Tuesday at around 1600 GMT and had "no guarantees" he would not be arrested on arrival.

"But under the current circumstances, I cannot remain outside my country," he added.

Mashaima is the leader of the opposition Haq movement, or the Movement of Liberties and Democracy.

5:29am Hundreds of protesters in Bahrain woke on Monday morning after another night spent camped out at the Pearl roundabout.

Dozens of tents have been erected for sleeping, but some people slept on the ground, covered in piles of blankets to protect against the chill night air. The mood is upbeat. Protester Hossain Kasar has spent the past two nights camped at the monument.

"I'm feeling happy" he said at sunrise on Monday morning, "but all the people of Bahrain, they don't want the government of Bahrain." he added.

5:11am The opposition wants Bahrain's rulers to guarantee they will back up their conciliatory words with actions, a Shia leader said as he and other activists weighed the regime's offer for talks after nearly a week of protests and deadly clashes.

The streets of Manama were calmer on Sunday as efforts shifted toward political haggling over demands the monarchy give up its near-absolute control over key policies and positions.

1:15am US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Saudi Arabia's foreign minister have agreed to support a proposed dialogue between the Bahraini government and its opponents, the State Department says.

Clinton discussed the unrest in Bahrain in a telephone call with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said on Twitter:"They agreed to support Bahrain's dialogue with all its citizens

7:31pm Protesters gather in a central Manama square clamouring for immediate political change as Bahrain's opposition parties meet to discuss demands they will present to Bahrain's rulers.

3:15pm The United States condemns any attempt by Bahraini security forces to crack down on peaceful protests, US Secretary of States Hillary Clinton says.

"We've been very clear from the beginning that we do not want to see any violence. We deplore it. We think it is absolutely unacceptable," Clinton told the ABC News program This Week, according to a transcript released by the network. She stopped short of calling for regime change.

12:17pm Al Jazeera's online producer in Bahrain says the atmosphere at Pearl Roundabout is similar to that of Egypt's Tahrir Square, a big sleepover camp.

Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:06 am

I saw this this morning, and was surprised to hear Art Cashin suggest that Iran was stirring the Bahraini pot.

Play the video here, I can't get the embed to work:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1809296716&play=1

Has anyone heard anything like this? Janey?
Joe Bese

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:24 am

Iran is trying to get involved in all these protests to further their regional ambitions. Their intelligence services are working overtime right now to create a situation where groups sympathetic to Iran have maximum influence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Revolutionary on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:00 am

Janey wrote:Iran is trying to get involved in all these protests to further their regional ambitions. Their intelligence services are working overtime right now to create a situation where groups sympathetic to Iran have maximum influence

Well I knew this is exactly what was happening. But how are they trying to create this situation? What are they doing? If this is the scuttlebutt among people in the know, there has to be a reason for it.

Governments have to be aware of Iranian involvement in their countries and passed along the information. But what exactly is it they are doing?

For example was it Iran behind the Sulieman assassination attempt? Because something like that is serious involvement.

Passing money along to opposition groups, not really that big of a deal.

I know they have been playing a big part in Yemen, but they have been doing that for years. Arming, training, supplying the Houtis.
Dead Revolutionary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top