Two Iranian warships about to transit Suez Canal

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Two Iranian warships about to transit Suez Canal

Post by Muhajiir on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:48 pm

In my humble opinion Iran is only testing its "limits" Israel will not do anything now...they are occupied by other things right now...But Israel will respond later when other fronts have been secured...the response I belive will be Israel send ships/airplanes to greece or cyprus close to Iran...close to Irans shores or something along those lines...that is my view
Muhajiir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by northerntomcat on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:50 pm

This is a troubling development. But i can remember back in 09 the IDF sent a few war ships through the canal the other way under secret orders. Here is an interesting article on it.

"Several days ago it was reported that an IDF missile boat crossed the canal to the Red Sea to conduct "operational activity." The nature of the operation remained highly secret. "

http://www.ynet.co.il/english/articles/0,7340,L-3746446,00.html

article is from July 09. But i wonder if its a tit for tat.
northerntomcat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Muhajiir wrote:In my humble opinion Iran is only testing its "limits" Israel will not do anything now...they are occupied by other things right now...But Israel will respond later when other fronts have been secured...the response I belive will be Israel send ships/airplanes to greece or cyprus close to Iran...close to Irans shores or something along those lines...that is my view

They may also be testing the feasibility of moving weapons to Lebanon this way. Maybe ship non-lethal items this time, if Israel does nothing it may be worth it to carry more hardware next voyage.
Joe Bese

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swinburnian on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Muhajiir wrote:In my humble opinion Iran is only testing its "limits" Israel will not do anything now...they are occupied by other things right now...But Israel will respond later when other fronts have been secured...the response I belive will be Israel send ships/airplanes to greece or cyprus close to Iran...close to Irans shores or something along those lines...that is my view

agree -- but there's a lot of potential for something to go wrong
Swinburnian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Swinburnian wrote:

agree -- but there's a lot of potential for something to go wrong

Muh, I hope you are right, it kind of makes sense what you say. But this really worries me. I also fear this may be some ploy to unite all Arab countries to go against Israel and then you have a really bad situation here, actually that's an understatement.

I'll be keeping my eye on this and be ready to bug out. The Revolution was one thing, but a full blown war against Israel, nope...thanks, will be going to stay with family in Bavaria.

PS: Iran is really irritating me (not the people, but Ahmedinthehead)
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Godzilla85 wrote:
Babsi wrote:
Godzilla85 wrote:Janey what are the chances this gets real bad real quick?

I'm not Janey, but considering Israel vs. Iran, this could get real bad real quick....

But yes Janey, I'm also interested in your take, you have more experience and a better take on these things.

PS: Let me know if I should run for cover in Egypt too...I hope the won't start to entangle us in some type of confrontation...or for having let the ships pass through the Canal.

Babsi I hope you stay safe where you are and that things are calming down and normalizing. I have great angst and fear over this Iranian provocation that it will in fact trigger an Israeli reaction with at the very least their jets buzzing over those ships and if those ships fire on the jets...then all bets are off.

I know...I don't like the sound of this at all...my goodness. I don't seem to get a break lately! I considered a while ago to leave Egypt, but then, where to go? Things aren't much better elsewhere either....lets hope for the best.
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bese on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:55 pm

A member of the Suez Canal board said that warships could pass through only on approval of the Egyptian ministries of defense and foreign affairs and that so far the canal authority had received no notice of such expected movement. However, he added that notice sometimes came only hours in advance.

Reuters reported a possible purpose for the ships’ movement, noting that Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reported on Jan. 26 that Iranian navy cadets had been dispatched on a year-long training mission to defend cargo ships and oil tankers against Somali pirates and would travel via the Gulf of Aden into the Red Sea and on through the Suez Canal to the Mediterranean.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/world/middleeast/17suez.html?hp
Joe Bese

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Babsi on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Joe Bese wrote:A member of the Suez Canal board said that warships could pass through only on approval of the Egyptian ministries of defense and foreign affairs and that so far the canal authority had received no notice of such expected movement. However, he added that notice sometimes came only hours in advance.

Reuters reported a possible purpose for the ships’ movement, noting that Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reported on Jan. 26 that Iranian navy cadets had been dispatched on a year-long training mission to defend cargo ships and oil tankers against Somali pirates and would travel via the Gulf of Aden into the Red Sea and on through the Suez Canal to the Mediterranean.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/world/middleeast/17suez.html?hp

Who knows what to believe anymore - I think the governments will just choose whichever story fits and act upon it accordingly.
Babsi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:47 pm

U.S. monitoring Iran ships which Israel says will cross Suez Canal

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-monitoring-iran-ships-which-israel-says-will-cross-suez-canal-1.343828

US carrier transits Suez Canal: navy

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jRJrNIrpOs9N-NkMYoJilA_Wew0Q?docId=CNG.04ecb2d1cc445f75fb8d1005d914afe2.da1
Earth Cries

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Revolutionary on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Babsi wrote:
Janey wrote:
Babsi wrote:
Janey wrote:confusion as some outlets reporting that the vessels have permission to cross Suez, whilst others say the Egyptians are denying any request has been made.

That is not good - things are still chaotic here, I hope there's not some dumb workers in Suez who screw this up by making a wrong statement, or let ships pass without a permission. Although I don't know how that would be possible.

Have they already passed through Suez or not?

all I can get and what is on the wires is "any time now"

Oh my goodness...if they pass...that will not be a good thing imo. I don't think Israel will show restraint this time.

My God, are you serious? Show restraint this time? And what they showed restraint killing civilians on board a humanitarian ship in international waters? During Cast Lead? When exactly does Israel show restraint?
Dead Revolutionary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 am

05:02

Israel forecast of Iranian warships in Suez Canal Wednesday night proves false (Army Radio)

http://www.haaretz.com/misc/breaking-news
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:01 am

it looks like the Iranians backed down. This is from the Suez Authority a few mins ago

The Suez Canal Authority was "informed today about the cancellation of two scheduled trips of two Iranian warships" said an official, adding that "no new date was set to cross the Suez as part of the southern convoy coming from the Red Sea."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 am

good morning, everyone
morning Janey

Report: Egypt blocked Iran ship from entering Suez Canal
Officials overseeing the strategic waterway that connects the Red Sea to the Mediterranean could not confirm the report, saying only that they have been told that plans by two Iranian naval vessels to cross through the canal had been canceled.

Full:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-egypt-blocked-iran-ship-from-entering-suez-canal-1.343927
Lurker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 am

morning!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 am

Good morning JediJaney and Lurker

Busy day today

Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 am

Finally able to access the site. Was missing my LSN
Ubetcha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:56 am

Hey Ubetcha

Did you have problems accessing LSN

Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 am

Strawberry wrote:Hey Ubetcha

Did you have problems accessing LSN

Yep was either slow to load and if I got to Home page wouldn't load threads. Don't know why today if stopped doing that. I even loaded Mozilla but couldn't load with it either. Today loaded no problem???????
Ubetcha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 am

I have problems sometime too but there are fairys and elves working behind the scenes to remedy a few things for us so bear with us and you will find things will improve soon

cheers
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Godzilla85 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 am

Am kinda dissapointed....was hoping the Iranians were really that stupid. Would've given the Israelis all the right in the world to blow those ships right out of the water. I guess another time for that then I suppose. I know that's not good thoughts coming from me folks but I just can't stand all the crap the Ayatollahs and Ahamawhacjob have been yammering for far too long I feel, they need to either put up for shut up.

[i] Supporter of The Sock
Godzilla85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AC on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:14 am

It would appear the Iranians have not blinked, just paused -

From zerohedge.com

"After nothing happened last night, following Egypt's statement that it had not received a request to allow Iranian warships through the canal, PressTV has just announced that an Iran Navy official says the 2 warships are in fact on their way to the Canal and will pass shortly. Look for kneejerk reaction in crude. "

AC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 am

AC wrote:It would appear the Iranians have not blinked, just paused -

From zerohedge.com

"After nothing happened last night, following Egypt's statement that it had not received a request to allow Iranian warships through the canal, PressTV has just announced that an Iran Navy official says the 2 warships are in fact on their way to the Canal and will pass shortly. Look for kneejerk reaction in crude. "

Yep this has now been confirmed.

http://littlesocknews.4rumer.com/t635-it-s-official-iran-says-it-will-send-2-warships-through-suez-canal

FWIW, Tyler is a very trustworthy source. He is a trader very much in the know, time to go long on crude.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum