Egypt Rolling Updates Monday 07 Feb

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Egypt Rolling Updates Monday 07 Feb

Post by snark on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:25 am

mahmoudtaji‎ RT @WilYaWil: Walking towards tahrir sq. @ simon bolivar sq. Multiple army checkpoint asking for ID. No access to tahrir
snark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Logical Paradox on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:25 am

Janey wrote:just checked with this on MSN with a guy on the ground.

You are right, the army is confiscating all supplies and even removing the portable toilets. The latest ploy seems to be to starve them out. If they leave to get food, they are not allowed back into the square

The face of evil rears its ugly head : (

US special envoy to Egypt recalled due to ties with Mubarak regime http://ow.ly/3Rxrj #Jan25 #Egypt
Logical Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snark on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:25 am

Earth Cries wrote:RT @Indoncensorship: reports that Index free expression award winner Kareem Amir has been picked up by authorities in #egypt

I saw that too- is he a journalist from Indonesia?
snark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:26 am

You are right, the army is confiscating all supplies and even removing the portable toilets. The latest ploy seems to be to starve them out. If they leave to get food, they are not allowed back into the square

sigh this could very well back fire. How are the people reacting? Sad
Ubetcha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 am

There are people now talking about gathering in large numbers to try and force supplies through the barricades. It may not end well Sad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snark on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:28 am

AJE has made a short film about how the Egyptian protests got to where we are now: I want to watch it but haven't had a chance yet. Apparently good as many have been asking for it:
http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/2011/02/2011267047178387.html
snark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snark on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 am

Janey wrote:There are people now talking about gathering in large numbers to try and force supplies through the barricades. It may not end well Sad

Marrwa:‎ if anyone has supplies that they want to take into #tahrir and theyre having a hard time please let me know or DM me
a few minutes ago
snark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snark on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:30 am

WilYaWil‎ There is an entrance to tahrir sq from Kasr ElNile bridge. Long organized queue leading to Military ID checkpoint
snark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 am

So that's their plan of how to clear the square, when everything else failed and violence wasn't an option
Lurker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muhajiir on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 am

For first time AJA interviews a young Egyptian he said: I swear to you that America and Israel will pay a heavy price for ignoring 85 milion Egyptians will to overthrow Mubarak the dictator!
Muhajiir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Janey on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:33 am

yes confirming now that word is getting around and people are starting to rush there with supplies. Also hearing that some solders remain sympathetic and may turn a blind eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Earth Cries on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:35 am

Abdul Kareem Nabeel Suleiman Amer (Arabic: كريم عامر‎) (born c. 1984) is an Egyptian blogger and former law student. He was arrested by Egyptian authorities for posts on his blog that were considered to be anti-religious and insulting to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. On February 22, 2007, in his native city Alexandria, Amer was sentenced to three years of imprisonment for insulting Islam and inciting sedition and one year for insulting the Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.[1] He was the first blogger in Egypt explicitly arrested for the content of his writing, and was released on November 17, 2010,[2] but not before he was beaten and illegally detained by Egyptian security forces.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kareem_Amer
Earth Cries

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:35 am

Janey wrote:just going through my emails and I had one from a journalist in the square.

The mood this morning is quite despondent in some ways. The general feeling of people in the square is that foreign powers and opposition parties are cutting a deal for the future of Egypt, without listening to their voices.

They still totally oppose any thought of Mubarak staying into September. They think that just before Sept he would magically create some crisis which meant elections would have to be delayed and he stay on in power
Good morning, Janey. This sounds so much business as usual from the Western power elite's point of view. Probably Obama told Mubarak a week ago to just hand in there and things would work out. The American generals probably told their counterparts something similar.

These folks in Egypt are very knowledgeable about these things, I think, and I can understand that it would get them down. On the one hand they certainly have the support of the people around the world but the governments, as usual, are interested only in maintaining their power structure. Very sad.

Thanks as always Janey.

FoolOnTheHill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:39 am

snark wrote:Mornin' yall! I have my coffee and I'm here for an hour or so before I have to get ready for work. I heard the ships are there to facilitate evacuations, but who knows what else they might do...
Hey there neighbor to the south! Good to see you here.

FoolOnTheHill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:41 am

snark wrote:
Canuck36 wrote:
Janey wrote:that is exactly it, they are there until a decision is made on how to proceed. that was the latest info as of late last night my time. I will check again today
Thanks. FYI, people keep posting topics asking where you're at at GLP but mods delete them right away Sad

UGH! Why?!?! That is just juvenile. Seriously juvenile.
Very, but it seems there are only adults here. I think I will just stay put!

FoolOnTheHill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snark on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:42 am

FoolOnTheHill wrote:
snark wrote:Mornin' yall! I have my coffee and I'm here for an hour or so before I have to get ready for work. I heard the ships are there to facilitate evacuations, but who knows what else they might do...
Hey there neighbor to the south! Good to see you here.

Good to see you as well!! Smile
snark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 am

Yep absolutely Muh, and it's not only egyptians.. Young people all over the world are either actively following the situation through social media, or at least grab some infos just while surfing the www...

The western world and also israel, are too short-sighted in the way they look at this crisis, their main concern is "who comes after Mubarak", which isn't even nowhere near the full scope these events can have
Lurker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LLL on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:44 am

Sorry to go off topic, Lurker did you get my PM?
LLL
Admin

View user profile http://littlesocknews.4rumer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Logical Paradox on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 am

As first journalist dies in Egypt protests, CPJ compiles list of attacks

"An Egyptian newspaper reporter has become the first journalist to die covering the anti-Mubarak protests.
Ahmad Mohaned Mahmoud, who worked for Al-Ta’awun, died from gunshot wounds sustained a week ago when he was shot by a sniper."

Source: Journalism.co.uk
Logical Paradox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ubetcha on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 am

Lurker wrote:Yep absolutely Muh, and it's not only egyptians.. Young people all over the world are either actively following the situation through social media, or at least grab some infos just while surfing the www...

The western world and also israel, are too short-sighted in the way they look at this crisis, their main concern is "who comes after Mubarak", which isn't even nowhere near the full scope these events can have

The world is in a very dangerous position. The tender box has been lit and who knows how it shapes out. I hate violence and hope that all countries can avoid but doubtful. The esculation has been started. Am amazed how so many people seem oblivious to this critical situations going on globally Shocked
Ubetcha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Limpan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:50 am

Godmorning everyone. Hope everything is fine.
flower
Limpan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:55 am

Canuck36 wrote:

It seems like his ploy to simply wait out the protests will work. A few days ago I would have said that was impossible.
Maybe, but if people are forced to leave the square they will simply go underground and continue the struggle, but maybe not in the same manner. For example, they are probably aware of the tacit Western support for the dictator (I guess these politicians don't know how to do anything else).

Again I am reminder of the old movie, "The Battle of Algiers." Of course things are very different a half century later, but some things are not so different, mainly the people's determination to be free of this evil (and I speak of the entire regime, not just Mubarak). As I think someone pointed out when we were still at GLP, at some point non-violent means may not be enough.

I am really looking forward to hearing from Babsi on all of this. She is the one who really seems to know what is happening and what is likely.

FoolOnTheHill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 am

snark wrote:
MissHidalgo wrote:yep this morning before i got the ban at GLP ,M Postman started a thread and the shield next his name was gone ....

You got banned?! For what??? I don't even know if I'm banned or not because I haven't tried to post anything, but after all of my posts on the FB page about Janey's new site I very well may be.
I have been banned over there without even posting one time. When GLP went down I did some research into the site/owner and what I found makes me reconsider posting over there very much in the future.

FoolOnTheHill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snark on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:00 am

FoolOnTheHill wrote:
snark wrote:
MissHidalgo wrote:yep this morning before i got the ban at GLP ,M Postman started a thread and the shield next his name was gone ....

You got banned?! For what??? I don't even know if I'm banned or not because I haven't tried to post anything, but after all of my posts on the FB page about Janey's new site I very well may be.
I have been banned over there without even posting one time. When GLP went down I did some research into the site/owner and what I found makes me reconsider posting over there very much in the future.

I know. I researched that awhile ago, and while I have no idea what the truth is...the accusations are chilling and make me very wary.
snark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoolOnTheHill on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:03 am

Muhajiir wrote:For first time AJA interviews a young Egyptian he said: I swear to you that America and Israel will pay a heavy price for ignoring 85 milion Egyptians will to overthrow Mubarak the dictator!
Ah, now that is what I was talking about earlier in my usual long winded manner. These governments (and others) ignore their own people, why should they pay attention to the Egyptian people!?

FoolOnTheHill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum