Bahrain protesters take control of main square

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:16 am

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Thousands of protesters in Bahrain are filling a main square in the Gulf nation's capital as Egypt-inspired demonstrations gripped the country for a second day.

Security forces appeared to hold back as the crowds poured into Pearl Square in Manama. The dramatic move Tuesday comes just hours after a second protester died in clashes with police in the strategic island kingdom, which is home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.

Oppositions groups are calling for greater political freedoms and an end to the ruling Sunni monarchy's grip on key decisions and government posts. The nation's majority Shiites have long complained of discrimination.

On Monday, pro-reform marchers clashed with police, leaving one dead.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20110213/ML.Bahrain.Protests/
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Janey on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:19 am

latest - King Hamad offering to discuss a policy of reform - Reuters

_________________
avatar
Janey

Posts : 1700
Join date : 2011-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:31 am

Janey wrote:latest - King Hamad offering to discuss a policy of reform - Reuters

Do you think this will be enough?
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Joe Bese on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:44 am

From the NYTimes:

On Monday, the police in Bahrain fired rubber bullets and tear gas into crowds of peaceful protesters from the Shiite majority population. So much tear gas was fired that the officers themselves vomited.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/world/middleeast/15iran.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

Always check wind direction when firing tear gas!

avatar
Joe Bese

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-02-07
Age : 61
Location : Colorado, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:56 am

Joe Bese wrote:From the NYTimes:

On Monday, the police in Bahrain fired rubber bullets and tear gas into crowds of peaceful protesters from the Shiite majority population. So much tear gas was fired that the officers themselves vomited.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/world/middleeast/15iran.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

Always check wind direction when firing tear gas!


Instant karma

Hi Joe Wave
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Aetius Romulous on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:05 am

Strawberry wrote:
Janey wrote:latest - King Hamad offering to discuss a policy of reform - Reuters

Do you think this will be enough?

Like Egypt, I think concessions are just red meat for the crowd, but this is not Egypt so who can tell? I guess these Monarchs don't watch Al Jazeera, who put on a clinic of what not to do when the people hit the streets.

_________________
Official Janey's Journalist - Economics
www.ScreamBucket.com
avatar
Aetius Romulous

Posts : 117
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : Canada

View user profile http://www.ScreamBucket.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Alaskan Girl on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am

Bahrain police opened fire on funeral for protester killing one and injuring several.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/201121571645551445.html

Opposition group suspends parlimentary participation.
avatar
Alaskan Girl

Posts : 335
Join date : 2011-02-08
Age : 54
Location : The middle of nowhere at the edge of the world

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by cab123 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Alaskan Girl wrote:Bahrain police opened fire on funeral for protester killing one and injuring several.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/201121571645551445.html

Opposition group suspends parlimentary participation.


this isn't good,

Saudi Officials Secretly Dispatch Thousands of Armed Troops to Bahrain / Shia Protesters under Severe Pressure

“Customs officials of King Fahad Bridge are deporting ordinary travelers in order to speed up the transportation of Saudi armed troops to Bahrain.” Saudi travelers and eye witnesses said



http://abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=226430

any confirmation/
avatar
cab123

Posts : 423
Join date : 2011-02-06
Age : 61
Location : Ohio,USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by goodmockingbird on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:59 pm

cab123 wrote:
Saudi Officials Secretly Dispatch Thousands of Armed Troops to Bahrain / Shia Protesters under Severe Pressure

/

That sure has the makings of one ugly sectarian Sunni vs Shiite conflict.

Suspect
avatar
goodmockingbird

Posts : 475
Join date : 2011-02-07
Age : 59
Location : Oklahoma, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by cab123 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:02 pm

goodmockingbird wrote:
cab123 wrote:
Saudi Officials Secretly Dispatch Thousands of Armed Troops to Bahrain / Shia Protesters under Severe Pressure

/

That sure has the makings of one ugly sectarian Sunni vs Shiite conflict.

Suspect

even worse Bird.
HQ for 5th fleet and at least 8 US army bases are there, Janey might know more.
avatar
cab123

Posts : 423
Join date : 2011-02-06
Age : 61
Location : Ohio,USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Swinburnian on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm

cab123 wrote:
Alaskan Girl wrote:Bahrain police opened fire on funeral for protester killing one and injuring several.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/201121571645551445.html

Opposition group suspends parlimentary participation.


this isn't good,

Saudi Officials Secretly Dispatch Thousands of Armed Troops to Bahrain / Shia Protesters under Severe Pressure

“Customs officials of King Fahad Bridge are deporting ordinary travelers in order to speed up the transportation of Saudi armed troops to Bahrain.” Saudi travelers and eye witnesses said



http://abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=226430

any confirmation/

no confirmation outside of iranian media
avatar
Swinburnian

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Joe Bese on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Swinburnian wrote:
cab123 wrote:
Alaskan Girl wrote:Bahrain police opened fire on funeral for protester killing one and injuring several.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/02/201121571645551445.html

Opposition group suspends parlimentary participation.


this isn't good,

Saudi Officials Secretly Dispatch Thousands of Armed Troops to Bahrain / Shia Protesters under Severe Pressure

“Customs officials of King Fahad Bridge are deporting ordinary travelers in order to speed up the transportation of Saudi armed troops to Bahrain.” Saudi travelers and eye witnesses said



http://abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=226430

any confirmation/

no confirmation outside of iranian media

Seems unlikely.

Good to see you Swin.
avatar
Joe Bese

Posts : 307
Join date : 2011-02-07
Age : 61
Location : Colorado, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by cab123 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:44 am

By ROBERT BURNS, AP National Security Writer Robert Burns, Ap National Security Writer – 1 hr 24 mins ago
WASHINGTON – Unrest surging through the Arab world has so far taken no toll on the American military. But that could change if revolt washes over the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom of Bahrain — longtime home to the U.S. Navy's mighty 5th Fleet and arguably the Middle East anchor of U.S. defense strategy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_on_re_us/us_us_military_gulf

I didn't know we had Patriot missile site there.(bottom of link)
I would think Bahrain it safe from outside influence.

By MARK THOMPSON Mark Thompson – Tue Feb 15, 5:35 pm ET
While the troubles in Egypt and Tunisia are important in Washington's geo-strategic calculations, they don't rank highly in its selfish concern over real estate. All that changes when it comes to the tiny Persian Gulf state of Bahrain, an island tucked between Saudi Arabia and Qatar on the gulf's western shore with fewer than 1 million residents. The home of the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet - and a recently-launched $580 million U.S. expansion effort slated to double the U.S. Navy's acreage there - could be in jeopardy if Bahrain's monarchy falls.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110215/wl_time/httpswamplandblogstimecom20110215nervoususnavyeyesonbahrainxidrssfullworldyahoo
avatar
cab123

Posts : 423
Join date : 2011-02-06
Age : 61
Location : Ohio,USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 am

Im confused. I thought Bahrain was in Iran confused
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 am

cab123 wrote:By ROBERT BURNS, AP National Security Writer Robert Burns, Ap National Security Writer – 1 hr 24 mins ago
WASHINGTON – Unrest surging through the Arab world has so far taken no toll on the American military. But that could change if revolt washes over the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom of Bahrain — longtime home to the U.S. Navy's mighty 5th Fleet and arguably the Middle East anchor of U.S. defense strategy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_on_re_us/us_us_military_gulf

I didn't know we had Patriot missile site there.(bottom of link)
I would think Bahrain it safe from outside influence.

By MARK THOMPSON Mark Thompson – Tue Feb 15, 5:35 pm ET
While the troubles in Egypt and Tunisia are important in Washington's geo-strategic calculations, they don't rank highly in its selfish concern over real estate. All that changes when it comes to the tiny Persian Gulf state of Bahrain, an island tucked between Saudi Arabia and Qatar on the gulf's western shore with fewer than 1 million residents. The home of the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet - and a recently-launched $580 million U.S. expansion effort slated to double the U.S. Navy's acreage there - could be in jeopardy if Bahrain's monarchy falls.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110215/wl_time/httpswamplandblogstimecom20110215nervoususnavyeyesonbahrainxidrssfullworldyahoo


Why is this happening in a country that had a parliamentary election in October, an election that Clinton called "free and fair"? The answer is simple: Bahrain, which is host to the U.S. Fifth Fleet, is not free. It is, rather, another Arab country where the Obama administration ignored popular unrest - and serious repression - in the interests of good relations with a friendly autocracy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/15/AR2011021506023.html
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by cab123 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:28 am

Strawberry wrote:Im confused. I thought Bahrain was in Iran confused

google earth: island between saudi and qatar. Very Happy
avatar
cab123

Posts : 423
Join date : 2011-02-06
Age : 61
Location : Ohio,USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:29 am

These images:
http://yfrog.com/h3qpbcjkj
http://yfrog.com/h4tgiukj

are from this twitter:
http://twitter.com/maryamalkhawaja#

that I got from:
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/16/live-blog-bahrain


Last edited by Strawberry on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 am

cab123 wrote:
Strawberry wrote:Im confused. I thought Bahrain was in Iran confused

google earth: island between saudi and qatar. Very Happy

thankyou Cab sunny
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:34 am

There r still hundreds of detainees in #Bahrain prisons, many have been tortured. Show support here: http://www.stoptorturebh.blogspot.com/
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Strawberry on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 am

11.11am – Bahrain:

The Bahrain government and monarchy are "clearly rattled" by the demonstrations, Martin Chulov reports from Pearl roundabout in Manama.

At the roundabout this morning there at least 5,000-10,000. This is a group that has got itself organised – there are marquees and first aid tents everywhere. It has a sense of a protest movement that is gaining momentum. The police are staying away ... All access points to this area are being coordinated by citizens.

It is predominantly Shia. They are saying they have been pushed into a sectarian corner. They are looking for a greater role in society in Bahrain. They feel emboldened by what's happened in Egypt and Tunisia. A secondary concern, fast becoming a dominant one, is that the king should leave.

They are not placated. The monarch has been largely responsible for buttressing the Sunni-based establishment. The lightening rod for the discontent is the monarch.
It does have a feel of a movement that is going somewhere. The government and the monarchy are clearly rattled by it. Instinctively it feels like one to watch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/feb/16/middle-east-protests-live-updates


There is a radio interview at this link. Find the time stamp 11.11am – Bahrain to find it
avatar
Strawberry

Posts : 1757
Join date : 2011-02-07
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Lurker on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 am

Confirmed Deaths In #Bahrain: 8-year old Hasan Mahdi, 25-year old Mohammad Saade and 27-year old Ali Mushaimi. #Feb14 #Bahrainis #Manama
http://twitter.com/Jnoubiyeh
avatar
Lurker

Posts : 1010
Join date : 2011-02-06
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Lurker on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Picture of Pro-King demonstrators:

http://www.bna.bh/portal/sites/default/files/DSC_0308_2.JPG
avatar
Lurker

Posts : 1010
Join date : 2011-02-06
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bahrain protesters take control of main square

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum