Ice and Snow Rant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ice and Snow Rant

Post by goodmockingbird on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 am

Ice belongs somewhere far away, or in a freezer. It has no business manifesting itself upon streets, trees, or sidewalks.

Ice is insidious. It appears two or three days out of the year, and then allows us to forget that it exists... until the next winter.

Sometimes is presents itself as visibly white and shiny. This, at least is honest. Other times it disguises itself as black and invisible. I have scars from this subterfuge.

Snow! Now I am in favor of gentle snow that melts off within hours.

But no way does snow have any business piling up 8 or more inches deep! It is unfair and treacherous.

All I ask is that the weather moderate itself into several small, scenic snowfalls instead of one or two disasters!

goodmockingbird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ice and Snow Rant

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:26 am

I totally agree! I am in TN and we have had more snow and ice than ever before!

I feel for you guys in OK...I have some acquaintances there and you guys are getting banged for REAL..Be safe!

This front moving through now is supposed to be upon us tomorrow in Tn and I dont even know what to prepare for because they arent really giving us much info...

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:54 am

Sweet.Skitzo wrote:
This front moving through now is supposed to be upon us tomorrow in Tn and I dont even know what to prepare for because they arent really giving us much info...

About all I have figured out is to prepare to be stuck wherever you are whenever it hits.

Even "they" don't know what to tell us to expect because even the very slightest variation in temperature of 2 or 3 degrees can mean the difference between a fall of grainy ice pellets -- which we can walk and drive on without a whole lot of problem -- and an out and out ice storm that brings traffic to a halt and pulls down electrical lines.

One "good" thing about this storm coming in now is that it is a fast moving weather system.
goodmockingbird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:57 am

They are telling us that you guys are going to get at least a foot of snow out of it...and there have been rumors that we should prepare for another storm like the Ice Storm we got in 1993 but that is from a very unreliable source...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kennedy on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Grrrrr....it's official .. the Mother Nature has gone mental. Winter storm warning yet again in Louisiana ... ice and snow .. grrrrrr
Kennedy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mother Mary on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:08 pm

We just keep getting it piled on us over and over here. No melting. There has to be at least two feet of compacted snow on the ground. Spring is gonna be a bitch!!

“Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.” Robert Anton Wilson
If the site goes down for any reason. Meet us here: Facebook
Mother Mary

View user profile http://tbsforum.thebroadspectrum.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Droid on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:48 pm

pfftt...

Here in Syracuse we get on average 120 inches a year, with a record of 192.5 inches. We almost broke that record a few years ago. This year I think we are at around 120 now. We had over 70 in December alone.

Take that.

We have 2 feet of snow on the ground, and have to snow blow a couple times a week, sometimes multiple times in a day.

Aww Yeah

Edit: BTW, my mailbox is completely buried. All you see is the front of it where we dug it out so the mailman can open the door.
Droid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Droid, I don't see how you do it!

Your story is a testament to the ingenuity and adaptability of humankind.

We are accustomed to having snow a couple of times a year, with up to 3", but hardly any more.

But the last 2 years, our weather has been insane!!! Last week we got over 11" of snow.

Tonight and tomorrow, we are predicted to get between 8" to 12" again.

Whoever is in charge of this had better go back and read the instruction manual and stop this malfunction!

scratch
goodmockingbird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top