New Mexico Is Running Out of Natural Gas Right Now

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Mexico Is Running Out of Natural Gas Right Now

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Janey! flower

I belong to a private/invitation only forum and we have been following you news intently and daily. We
do so appreciate all your work and for this "landing place" after GLP folded.

Would it be okay for me to "re-establish" and continue on with my thread about

"New Mexcio Running Out of Gas Right Now"???????????

Jenna

Back to top Go down

Re: New Mexico Is Running Out of Natural Gas Right Now

Post by Janey on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:38 am

hello Jenna, go right ahead and post any news stories here. You are most welcome

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:41 am

I've read your thread on GLP, I would appreciate following the situation on here Smile

Lurker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 am

Thank you.

I wish I could import all the info from GLP. That is the sad part of them leaving without notice....all archived info
is just POOF!........gone.

I will try to reconstruct what I can but I may just have to start from the initial info and go forward with new data.
Pretty much everything in between is just lost.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:28 am

Here is the beginning from 2/3/11 where I had posted to another forum.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My daughter just called me to tell me their was an announcement on the TV that New Mexico is running out of
natural gas and there are many places in the state that are already out of gas. They said that Bernalillo is running out of
gas RIGHT NOW.....and that is only 8 miles from me and that my town Rio Rancho is expected to run out of gas today.

............that 20, 000 customers will be without gas tonight either in ABQ or Rio Rancho. That means possibly ME!!!!!

Hoping and praying that the electricity stays on. I have two little electric heaters. One is a Patton and on is a
Pelonis....

Guess I better go jump in the shower right now and bathe and wash my hair as my hot water is gas.

Problem here is that the state of NM has never run out of gas before and they don't know what to do or how to handle it.

I wonder how long before we get more gas as I don't know how it is processed or how it gets here or anything about
natural gas. Betcha I get a quick study on the subject right now.

I just called the gas company and they have a recording on that lists all the towns that are already out of gas.

The news said that NM is colder right now that anywhere else in the country including Alaska.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:30 am

From 2/3/11

Just went to the NM Gas Co. website and here is there announcement:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emergency Updates and Resources
The most complete and up-to-date-information, including affected service areas and assistance and emergency shelters, is being made available for our customers here. This page will be continually updated as new information becomes available. (Last update at 10:58 am)

Service Disruptions
2/3/2011 9:02 AM
At this time, service is disrupted in Espanola, affecting about 2,600 customers.

2/3/2011 8:07 AM
New Mexico Gas Company continues to work to preserve natural gas service to as many customers as possible. At this time, natural service is being disrupted in Bernalillo and Placitas, affecting 9,000 customers; and in Taos, Questa and Red River areas, affecting 10,800 customers.

2/3/2011 7:58 AM
Natural gas has been disrupted at Coronado Village Mobile Home Park at 8401 Pan American Fwy in Albuquerque, affecting 200 customers. There are also isolated and sporadic incidents in the Albuquerque metro area at this time.

2/3/2011 6:39 AM
Natural gas service is currently disrupted in northern sections of Silver City, affecting 750 customers. New Mexico Gas Company is working with city officials and agencies now and information on emergency shelters and assistance will be available soon.

2/3/2011 5:30 AM
At this time, natural gas service has been disrupted to customers in Otero County. The affected areas currently include residents and businesses north of County Road 545 into Tularosa, the Village of Tularosa and La Luz, and northern sections of Alamogordo. Approximately, 2,500 customers have been affected. Natural gas has also been curtailed in Alamogordo public schools and the recreation center.

New Mexico Gas Company has been taking steps to maintain service to as many customers as possible. The extremely cold weather has peaked demand for natural gas and we will continue to work to maintain and restore service as quickly as possible.

Text messages and calls: New Mexico Gas Company is not calling or texting customers about service disruptions. If you receive a call or text message from an anonymous source, these are not New Mexico Gas Company communications. Unless you are listed in the affected areas above, please be assured that the gas is still flowing to your area.

Cause: Rolling black-outs in West Texas have impeded the delivery of natural gas coming into New Mexico. Our pipeline system is intact and our crews are working to minimize the impact of this temporary situation.

When gas will be restored: We will keep you informed as soon as we know when we can begin to restore service. New Mexico Gas Company service technicians and engineers from across the state will be assisting efforts to restore service. In order to restore service, New Mexico Gas Company technicians will need to relight each home and business individually. A blue tag will be left to schedule a relight if you aren't home when our technicians visit.

Safety: The safety of our customers is of top concern. New Mexico Gas Company has been working with National, County and State emergency services and officials, as well as local assistance agencies.

Emergency Shelters
Emergency shelters have been set up at these locations for residents unable to safely remain at home. These heated facilities will have costs, blankets, food and water, and other emergency relief in coordination with the Red Cross and/or National Guard.

* Alamogordo: Alamogordo Civic Center at 800 East First Street, at the corner of South Florida and First Street.
* Silver City: Grants County Conference Center at 3050 Hwy 180E (next to Ace Hardware); phone: 575-388-3180
* Questa: Alta Vista Elementary School gym at 2556 State Road 522
* Espanola: Beatrice Martinez Senior Center at 735 Vietnam Veterans Way
* Red River: Fire Station at 100 E. Main
* Red River: Faith Mountain Fellowship Church at 100 S. Copper King Trail

Recommendations:
At this time, residents are encouraged to remain in their homes if they can and if they have safe alternative sources of heat to keep warm, such as electric heaters, wood or pellet stoves, and electric blankets.

Residents are cautioned NOT to use unvented heaters, grills, propane or kerosene heaters or camp stoves inside their homes or enclosed spaces, as these can result in carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please check on your neighbors and friends, especially the elderly, sick or homebound.

For Assistance:
Anyone who needs assistance or help getting to an emergency shelter, please call --

In Alamogordo and Otero County:

* Alamogordo Department of Public Safety: 575-439-4300
* Otero County Sheriff: 575-437-2210
* Tularosa Police Dept.: 575-585-2704

In Silver City:

* Convention Center: 575-388-1198, Ext. 10 (no charge)
* Corre Caminos: 575-388-3180 ($2.50 and 50 cents each additional person at same address)

In Questa:

* Mayor's Office: 575-586-0694 or 586-1610

In Espanola:

* Regional Transporation Office: 757-753-2992

In Red River

* Town Hall: 575-754-2277

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:31 am

From 2/3/11

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GOVERNOR MARTINEZ HAS DECLARED A STATE OF EMERGENCY FOR THE ENTIRE STATE.

THEY ARE WORRIED THAT LOSS OF GAS IS GOING TO OVER LOAD THE POWER GRID.

http://www.koat.com/r-video/26733056/detail.html

GOTTA GO MAKE ANOTHER RUN FOR SUPPLIES.....BACK LATER FOR MORE DETAILS.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 am

Now this info is from the New Mexico Gas Co. website from 2/5/11

Please note that the National Guard is being used. They will HELP INSURE ACCESS
TO THE METERS.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Emergency Updates and Resources

The most complete and up-to-date-information, including affected service areas and assistance and emergency shelters, is being made available for our customers here. This page will be continually updated as new information becomes available. (Last update at 2/5/2011 10:00 PM)

At this time, natural gas supply and our systems are stable. New Mexico Gas Company does not anticipate any additional disruptions to natural gas service for our customers across New Mexico.

Safety is always our first priority. We know that every hour without natural gas is a very long time for our customers. Please understand that we are doing everything possible to restore service as quickly and safely as possible to the thousands of people who have been affected by this week’s extreme weather event. Hundreds of additional professional technicians from around the state and across the country are joining our New Mexico Gas Company crews to relight homes and businesses. Crews will be working day and night throughout the weekend.

We thank you for your continued patience and cooperation. Our crews must follow a restoration procedure to ensure the safety of the public and our employees. Technicians will attempt to visit every home and business several times to relight. A blue tag will be left to schedule a relight if they are unable to reach you.

Residents can help by making sure there is access to the gas meters at their property. Please do not call ahead, as we are unable to make appointments for relighting or provide specific information on when service will be restored to individual locations. We will get to everyone and we thank all of our customers for their patience and cooperation.

In an effort to restore gas service to our customers as quickly and safely as possible, New Mexico Gas Company is asking for the assistance of all licensed plumbers and pipe fitters. All those interested in helping, please call 505-798-3317. If you are a Plumbing and Heating Company interested in providing additional assistance, please call 505-697-3574.

Updates:
2/5/2011 10:00 PM
New Mexico Gas Company crews are currently working diligently to restore gas service to affected customers in all areas of the state as quickly and safely as possible. A lot of preliminary work is necessary before meters can be turned back on and appliances can be relight. Below is the latest progress on relighting homes and businesses. Please be advised that completion estimates will depend on the ability of our technicians to access gas meters at homes and businesses, available resources, and absent any safety issues found. Again, we thank all of our customers for their patience and cooperation.

Metro Area:
Bernalillo, Santa Ana Pueblo: Relights began yesterday afternoon and hope to be completed by late today. % of service restored: 76%
Placitas: Relights began yesterday afternoon and hope to be completed by late today. % of service restored: 32%

Southwest Area:
Alamogordo: Relights continue, hope to be substantially completed by late this evening. % of service restored: 73%
Silver City: Service has been 100% restored.
Tularosa: Relights began yesterday afternoon and hope to be substantially completed by late this evening, but work may continue into Sunday. % of service restored: 41%
La Luz: Service has been 100% restored.

North Central Area:
Espanola, Santa Clara Pueblo, Okway Owingeh Pueblo and San Ildefonso Pueblo: Relights beginning. % service restored: 5%.
Taos: Beginning relights in the morning and will work through Sunday.
Questa: Relights beginning today and will work through Sunday. % service restored: 40%
Red River: Crews began relights early this morning, will work through Sunday. % of service restored: 52%

2/5/2011 6:45 PM
New Mexico Gas Company is pleased to announce that service has been restored to La Luz and the 475 customers affected by this week’s extreme winter event.

2/5/2011 6:38 PM
Governor Susana Martinez, in cooperation with Espanola Mayor Alice Lucero and Taos Mayor Darren Cordova, has announced that about 50 members of New Mexico National Guard will be assisting New Mexico Gas Company tomorrow in the Espanola and Taos areas.

The National Guard will be working in advance of our New Mexico Gas Company crews to notify customers that our crews are coming to their area to turn on their metes, perform safety checks, and relight their appliances. They will also help residents ensure there is access to the meters at their homes and businesses to help us restore natural gas service as quickly and safely as possible. More than 400 New Mexico Gas Company technicians, along with qualified technicians from utilities across the country and licensed plumbers and pipefitters, will work into the late evening hours.

We thank all of our customers for their continued patience and cooperation.

2/5/2011 12:31 PM
For Assistance:
Anyone who needs assistance or help getting to an emergency shelter, please call --

In Questa: Mayor's Office: 575-586-0694 or 586-1610
In Espanola: 505-747-1941 or 753-8396
In Red River: Town Hall: 575-754-2277
In Bernalillo: Sandoval County Information Line: 505-404-5810
In Taos: Command Center: 575-751-8123 or 751-8125

Continued

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 am

continued from above post.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2/4/2011 5:42 PM
Emergency shelter information for Espanola has been updated. See below for revised shelter location and phone numbers for customers needing assistance or help in getting to the shelter.

* Espanola Emergency Shelter: New Mexico National Guard Armory at 2011 Industrial Park Road
* For Assistance Call: 505-747-1941 or 753-8396

2/4/2011 4:54 PM and 2/5/2011 12:19 PM
We can now provide additional information on the qualified, trained professionals coming from sister gas utilities and others around the country to assist in the restoration of natural gas service to our customers. Working with New Mexico Gas Company beginning this weekend will be technicians from:

* Xcel Energy in Colorado
* ATMOS Energy from Colorado, Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana
* Entergy from Louisiana
* Okalossa Gas from Florida
* SEMCO Energy from Michigan
* Los Alamos County Utilities
* Los Alamos National Labs
* Oklahoma Natural Gas from Oklahoma
* Zia Natural Gas
* AGL Resources from Georgia
* United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters, Local Union 412, from Albuquerque and Los Alamos
* And other contractors and licensed plumbers

We want to reassure customers that all technicians needing to enter their homes or businesses to relight appliances will carry a New Mexico Gas Company contractor identification badge depicting our logo and their assigned contractor number. If any customer is in doubt about whether a person is authorized to perform this work, please feel free to call us, toll free, on our emergency line at 888-NM-GAS-CO (888-664-2726) and we will be happy to verify them for you. There is always someone available 24 hours a day on our emergency line.

2/4/2011 3:24 PM
Service has now been restored to Silver City.
New Mexico Gas Company crews have been working diligently, going door to door, to restore natural gas service as quickly and safely as possible to the 271 Silver City customers who have been without gas.

"We are pleased to report that service has been restored to our customers in Silver City," said Jeremiah Garcia, Silver City Operations Supervisor. New Mexico Gas Company wishes to thank the Silver Consolidated School District , Western New Mexico University, Grant County Administrative Team and the Town of Silver City for their invaluable assistance during this extreme winter storm event. "Most of all, we would like to thank all of our customers in Silver City for their cooperation and understanding during this unusual weather event," Jeremiah added.

2/4/2011 3:10 PM
New Mexico Gas Company crews are working diligently to restore service to our customers as quickly and safely as possible. Below are our latest estimates for relighting homes and businesses. Please be advised that these estimates will depend on the ability of our technicians to access gas meters at homes and businesses, available resources, and absent any safety issues found. Residents can do their part to help by making sure there is access to the gas meters at their property. Please do not call ahead, as we are unable to make appointments for relighting or inform you when we will be at your location.

Metro Area:

* Bernalillo, Santa Ana Pueblo, and Placitas: Relights are expected to begin this afternoon and hope to be completed by late tomorrow.

Southwest Area:

* Alamogordo: Relights are in progress in the golf course area and Cottonwood Heights, hope to be substantially completed by late tomorrow evening.
* Silver City: Relights are in progress and crews hope to complete the last remaining homes this afternoon.
* Tularosa: Relights are anticipated to begin late today and hope to be substantially completed by late tomorrow evening, but work may continue into Sunday.
* La Luz: Relights to begin this afternoon and hope to be substantially completed by late tomorrow evening, but work may continue into Sunday.

North Central Area:

* Espanola, Santa Clara Pueblo, Okway Owingeh Pueblo and San Ildefonso Pueblo: Relights to begin on Sunday and will continue through Monday.
* Taos, Questa and Red River: As these areas depend on the progress of purging the main pipeline from Espanola to Red River, crews currently anticipate beginning relights tonight in Red River and remaining areas tomorrow and working through Sunday or Monday.

We will keep you as updated on any significant changes to these estimates. Thank you, again, for your patience and cooperation.

2/4/2011 2:02 PM
The Grant County Conference Center has had no customers needing shelter today and this emergency shelter has now been able to be closed.

2/4/2011 12:52 PM
In response to your questions, there is no charge to customers affected by this disruption for turning on and restoring their natural gas service.

2/4/2011 12:00 PM
New Mexico Gas Company crews are working diligently to restore service to our customers as quickly and safely as possible. Below are our current estimates for relighting homes and businesses. Please be advised that these estimates will depend on the ability of our technicians to access gas meters at homes and businesses, available resources, and absent any safety issues found. Residents can do their part to help by making sure there is access to the gas meters at their property. Please do not call ahead, as we are unable to make appointments for relighting or inform you when we will be at your location.

Metro Area:

* Bernalillo, Santa Ana Pueblo, and Placitas: Relights are expected to begin this afternoon and hope to be completed by late tomorrow.

Southwest Area:

* Alamogordo: Relights are in progress in the golf course area and Cottonwood Heights, hope to be substantially completed by late tomorrow evening.
* Silver City: Relights are in progress and crews hope to complete the last remaining homes late this afternoon.
* Tularosa: Relights are anticipated to begin late today and hope to be substantially completed by late tomorrow evening.
* La Luz: Relights to begin this afternoon and hope to be substantially completed by late tomorrow evening.

North Central Area:

* Espanola, Santa Clara Pueblo, Okway Owingeh Pueblo and San Ildefonso Pueblo: Relights to begin on Sunday and will continue through Monday.
* Taos, Questa and Red River: As these areas depend on the progress of purging the main pipeline from Espanola to Red River, crews currently anticipate beginning relights tomorrow and working through Sunday.

We will keep you as updated on any significant changes to these estimates. Thank you, again, for your patience and cooperation.

2/4/2011 11:00 AM
As work begins to restore natural gas service to our customers, professional resources from across New Mexico and surrounding states are being coordinated to help. Hundreds of licensed journeymen with United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters, Local Union 412, from Albuquerque and Los Alamos, are joining the effort. Qualified trained technicians are also coming in from gas utilities from Louisiana, Colorado, Texas and Oklahoma. New Mexico Gas Company has also been working with local Fire Departments and government officials to coordinate restoration efforts.

2/4/2011 8:52 AM
Our Alamogordo walk-in office will be open today from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

2/4/2011 8:40 AM
At approximately 9:00 am this morning, New Mexico Gas Company technicians will begin purging the large transmission pipeline from Espanola through Red River. The public may smell gas in their neighborhoods as crews work their way up the pipeline. This is an expected part of the process.

2/4/2011 7:30 AM
At this time, the natural gas supply lines are stable and New Mexico Gas Company does not anticipate additional disruptions to natural gas service for our customers across New Mexico.

Safety is always our first priority. We know that every hour without natural gas is a very long time for our customers. New Mexico Gas Company’s personnel are dedicated to restoring service as quickly and safely as possible. We are currently working on monitoring and testing the system and taking appropriate actions to address any issues that could affect public safety and to expedite service restoration.

When will your service be back? We are unable to provide specific information on when service will be restored to individual locations. The process to restore natural gas service to homes and businesses is the most time-consuming aspect of any outage. We ask for your patience as we begin and complete the restoration process over the upcoming days.

What can our customers expect? The restoration process means visiting each home and business twice. First, every meter is shut off. Then, work begins on restoring gas in the large pipelines bringing natural gas to their area and make sure the system is operating safely. Finally, our crews will go door-to-door, revisiting every home and business, to turn the meters back on, perform critical safety checks and relight gas appliances. There may be a slight smell of gas in your neighborhood while technicians purge the meters.

Who will be relighting my appliance? Qualified, trained New Mexico Gas Company service technicians from around the state will be helping to restore service to affected areas in an orderly manner. To help relight homes and businesses as quickly as possible, extra assistance is being provided by licensed journeymen from Local Union 412, Los Alamos County Gas Utility, and local Fire Departments. All personnel will carry a New Mexico Gas Company ID badge (the contractor badges will not have a photo, while the employee ones will). A blue tag will be left to schedule a relight if you aren't home when our technicians visit.

In the meantime, please do not attempt to relight your gas appliances. If you smell gas inside your home or business, get everyone out of the building immediately — then, call New Mexico Gas Company from a safe location. Do not do anything that may cause a spark, including: turn on or off any electrical or battery-operated devices, using garage door openers, radios, televisions, computers or telephones, striking a match or flick lighter or smoking. Do not return to the building until the gas company safety experts have given the all-clear.

2/3/2011 12:59 PM
New Mexico Gas Company has released a press release. A copy (pdf) is available here. Please note: We do not have any plans to turn off natural gas service to customers in Albuquerque. We are doing everything we can to maintain service.

Service Disruptions
2/3/2011 1:35 PM
The Alamogordo walk-in office has had to close for today.

2/3/2011 12:00 PM
Natural gas service has been disrupted to Santa Clara Pueblo, Okway Owingeh Pueblo and portions of San Ildefonso Pueblo and Santa Ana Pueblo. Our Native American liaison has worked with Pueblo governments and agencies, which are currently providing information to their respective Pueblo members. A tribal bulletin has already been sent out to residents of San Idelfonso Pueblo - if you did not receive one, please contact the Governor's office at 505-455-2273. The Ohkay Owingeh traditional kiva will be open for all tribal members tonight and a notice was issued to the community this morning. If you did not receive one, copies are available at the Governor’s office.

2/3/2011 9:02 AM
At this time, gas service is disrupted in Espanola, affecting about 2,600 customers.

2/3/2011 8:07 AM
New Mexico Gas Company continues to work to preserve natural gas service to as many customers as possible. At this time, natural service is being disrupted in Bernalillo and Placitas, affecting 5,000 customers; and in Taos, Questa and Red River areas, affecting 10,800 customers.

2/3/2011 7:58 AM
Natural gas has been disrupted at Coronado Village Mobile Home Park at 8401 Pan American Fwy in Albuquerque, affecting 200 customers. There are also isolated and sporadic incidents in the Albuquerque metro area at this time. Update: Service has been restored to Coronado Village Mobile Home Park.

2/3/2011 6:39 AM
Natural gas service is currently disrupted in northern sections of Silver City, affecting 750 customers. New Mexico Gas Company is working with city officials and agencies now and information on emergency shelters and assistance will be available soon.

2/3/2011 5:30 AM
At this time, natural gas service has been disrupted to customers in Otero County. The affected areas currently include residents and businesses north of County Road 545 into Tularosa, the Village of Tularosa and La Luz, and northern sections of Alamogordo. Approximately, 2,500 customers have been affected. Natural gas has also been curtailed in Alamogordo public schools and the recreation center.

Text messages, emails and calls: New Mexico Gas Company is not calling, emailing or texting residential customers about service disruptions. If you receive a call, email or text message from an anonymous source, these are not New Mexico Gas Company communications. Unless you are listed in the affected areas above, please be assured that the gas is still flowing to your area.

Cause: Due to rolling black-outs in West Texas and other problems, the delivery of natural gas into New Mexico has been impeded. States across the Southwest are experiencing similar situations. Our pipeline system is intact and our crews have been working to minimize the impact of this temporary situation. New Mexico Gas Company has been taking steps to maintain service to as many customers as possible. The extremely cold weather has peaked demand for natural gas and we will continue to work to maintain and restore service as quickly as possible.

Hospitals and Emergency Medical Care: Please be assured that all hospitals in affected areas are operating on diesel back-up and are open. This includes Gila Regional Medical Center in Silver City, Holy Cross Hospital in Taos, and Presbyterian Hospital in Espanola. All emergency 911 services are also available and fully operational in all areas.

Safety: The safety of our customers is of top concern. New Mexico Gas Company has been working with National, County and State emergency services and officials, as well as local assistance agencies.

Emergency Shelters
Emergency shelters have been set up at these locations for residents unable to safely remain at home. These heated facilities will have cots, blankets, food and water, and other emergency relief in coordination with the Red Cross and/or National Guard.

* Alamogordo: Alamogordo Civic Center at 800 East First Street, at the corner of South Florida and First Street.
* Silver City: Grants County Conference Center at 3050 Hwy 180E (next to Ace Hardware); phone: 575-388-3180 [now closed]
* Questa: Alta Vista Elementary School gym at 2556 State Road 522
* Espanola: Beatrice Martinez Senior Center at 735 Vietnam Veterans Way [revised on 2/4 to New Mexico National Guard Armory at 2011 Industrial Park Road]
* Red River: Fire Station at 100 E. Main
* Red River: Faith Mountain Fellowship Church at 100 S. Copper King Trail
* Bernalillo: National Guard Armory at 4001 NW Loop NE, Rio Rancho (North of Rio Rancho off Highway 550 and Northwest Loop). Anyone who plans on seeking shelter at the National Guard Armory should bring pillows and blankets (cots are available), prescription medications, special dietary foods and supplements, and personal hygiene items.
* Bernalillo: Rotary Park Community Center at 370 Rotary Park Road
* Taos: Emergency Response Center at Quality Inn (behind hotel) at 1043 Paseo del Pueblo Sur
* Taos: Enos Garcia Elementary School at 305 Don Fernando (overflow)
* Taos: Ranchos Elementary School at 200 Ranchos Elementary Road (overflow)
* For Pets in Taos: Aquatic Center Recreation Center on 407 Paseo del Canyon E

Recommendations:
At this time, residents are encouraged to remain in their homes if they can and if they have safe alternative sources of heat to keep warm, such as electric heaters, wood or pellet stoves, and electric blankets.

Residents are cautioned NOT to use unvented heaters, grills, propane or kerosene heaters or camp stoves inside their homes or enclosed spaces, as these can result in carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please check on your neighbors and friends, especially the elderly, sick or homebound.

For Assistance:

In Silver City:

* Convention Center: 575-388-1198, Ext. 10 (no charge)
* Corre Caminos: 575-388-3180 ($2.50 and 50 cents each additional person at same address)

In Questa:

* Mayor's Office: 575-586-0694 or 586-1610

In Espanola:

* Regional Transportation Office: 505-753-2992 [revised on 2/4; now 505-747-1941 or 753-8396]

In Red River

* Town Hall: 575-754-2277

In Bernalillo:

* Sandoval County Information Line: 505-404-5810

In Taos:

* Command Center: 575-751-8123 or 751-8125

Hotels
These hotels have offered reduced room rates for New Mexico Gas Company customers who have had their gas service disrupted.
MCM Elegante in Albuquerque at $59/night. For information, call 505-884-2511.
Clarion Hotel in Albuquerque at $45/night. For information, call 505-823-1300.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:42 am

Now about those crews performing safety checks.........

apparently they are also red tagging furnaces that they deem to be unsafe and taking them out of service .......forcing the owners to buy new heaters at a cost of between $3k and $5k.

This info was on local news yesterday.

I don't like the idea of the National Guard coming before the repair crews. I don't see a reason in the world for them to be there.

What is it they are going to insure other than perhaps "forced entry"....just another word for access and of course they will be "noticing" anything else they can notice.

Remember: "We are hear to help you".

Just surmising. .....trying to think out of the box.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:11 am

Posted at KOAT.com News 7

Two videos and a map of shelters posted at link.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gas Service Slowly Being Restored To N.M. Residents
Gas Outage Affected 30K New Mexicans

POSTED: 11:06 am MST February 5, 2011
UPDATED: 11:03 am MST February 6, 2011

http://www.koat.com/news/26760100/detail.html

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 pm

UDATE 2/7/11

Was listening to the local news and here is what I heard:

New Mexico Gas Co. was supposed to have a press conference today but canceled it due to a meeting with the Governor........now allegedly rescheduled for tomorrow.

350 National Guard going to Taos to insure reconnects of gas.

150 there now.

44 Albuquerque Police Officers going to Taos to insure reconnects of gas.

Taos is only 23% reconnected after 5 days without gas.

This is reported by KOB-TV

Another storm on the way.

People in Taos taking matters into their own hands.

Pleas went out on radio air for anyone who knows how to relight the gas in homes ....licensed or not.

People getting very angry.

Thousands still without gas.

Signs up saying: liars, liars

FEMA in NM assessing the situation for possible Fed Assistance.

Espanola only at 36% reconnect.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 pm

More info coming up at news at 6 p.m.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm

6 P.M. NEWS.......

NEW MEXICO GAS CO WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE EVERY GAS METER RECONNECTED... YESTERDAY!! THEY FAILED. THE GOVERNOR IS VERY MAD ABOUT THIS AND WILL DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO RESTORE GAS.

NOW THERE ARE 180 NATIONAL GUARD IN TAOS AND

150 NATIONAL GUARD IN ESPANOLA TO INSURE RECONNECTS.

PEOPLE ARE HOLDING UP SIGNS CAUGHT ON TV THAT SAY.....

CONNECT OUR GAS LIARS LIARS.

THE MAYOR OF TAOS IS SAYING THAT IF YOU USE SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE NM GAS CO TO RECONNECT YOUR GAS PLEASE BE SAFE.

THERE IS NO THREAT OF ARREST OR FINES BY THE MAYOR.....JUST HIM SAYING TO BE SAFE AND USE SOMEONE THAT IS KNOWLEDGEABLE.

WOOD IN TAOS IS RUNNING OUT.

THOUSANDS STILL WITHOUT GAS.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:29 pm

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WHEN YOU "WAIT" FOR SOMEBODY TO TAKE CARE OF YOU.

JUST DO IT YOURSELF.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by goodmockingbird on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Jenna wrote:UDATE 2/7/11

Another storm on the way.

People in Taos taking matters into their own hands.

Pleas went out on radio air for anyone who knows how to relight the gas in homes ....licensed or not.

This is a skill anyone can learn.

A few decades ago, just about everyone did this themselves every year in the fall of the year.

Now I reckon it amounts to some sort of "forbidden knowledge".

goodmockingbird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:07 pm

I don't understand this at all.

Every year when we switch over to swamp coolers in the spring......the landlord comes over and turns off the gas furnace.......the again in the fall he comes back and turns the gas on.

So what is the deal here?

Please educate me as to what the difference is here with this situation. Thank you.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:09 pm

On local TV news tonight.

Again NM Gas promised the .governer that they would have all gas furnaces turned back in in NM today...

again........

THEY FAILED!!!

Pipes have burst from the cold all over. Millions of gallons of water has been wasted.

Last night Alcade residents were so angry.. They told the governor that they were a poor community and that they had been selected out and ignored.

Taos is still only 75% relit.

Severe cold is coming again tonight for the northern NM area...including Taos......with below zero temps.

The snow is blowing up that way and in Glorietta with visibility only about 1/4 mile. I-25 is a mess.
I-40 east of ABQ, NM is a mess with visibility almost nothing.

It is really bad weather wise up that way.

The east mountains from the Sandia Mts. east is really bad.

Espanole is about 85% relit.

A $ million dollar fund with NM Gas has been set up for those residents who have busted water pipes from the loss of gas heat that caused them to freeze.

The NM Gas Co. president said she can't guarantee that there won't be more problems with the gas but then on the other hand she says they are ready with their suppliers.

The National Guard is still up in the area helping out.

NM Gas says they have visited 100% of the homes but yet the gas is not on in all. DUH!

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 pm

WOW I really did not know this was happening.

How are you doing Jenna and how is the situation now?
Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Strawberry wrote:WOW I really did not know this was happening.

How are you doing Jenna and how is the situation now?

I was blessed not to lose gas but my heart empathizes with those that are suffering the brutally cold temps
without a heat source. Listening to the residents of these areas today just hurt my heart so much as I could
hear the near "cry" in their voices as they tried to be brave.

Only by the grace of GOD go you or I.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiral on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm a little confused, is the problem that there is no gas running through the lines, or that because a few days ago there was no gas in the lines that there are a huge number of people who now have gas running to their homes, but cannot use their furnaces because the pilot lights are out?

The wording jumped from "xx% reconnected" to "xx% relit".

Is it now a problem of supply or logistics?
Chiral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:21 pm

On local TV news tonight.......

Silver City running out of gas and not natural gas but gasoine.

Long lines there today.

Even Demming ran short for awhile.

This thing is growing legs and sprouting tentacles.

Most of NM is below zero tonight.

This is NOT normal for NM to continue with lots of nights below zero...

Some parts of the state are running some 40 degrees below normal for this time of year.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenna on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Chiral wrote:I'm a little confused, is the problem that there is no gas running through the lines, or that because a few days ago there was no gas in the lines that there are a huge number of people who now have gas running to their homes, but cannot use their furnaces because the pilot lights are out?

The wording jumped from "xx% reconnected" to "xx% relit".

Is it now a problem of supply or logistics?

At first it was no gas running through the lines so the gas company literally shut down entire sections of the state....they claimed to keeping from the entire state wide system from failing and shutting down.....

Then they claimed that they had to relight all customers as if nobody else could do it ...

Now it is the failure of the gas co. to get everyone relit.........

but the same gas co. is saying they can't guarantee that this won't happen again.

IT IS CONFUSING NOT JUST FOR YOU AND EVEN ME BUT FOR THE CITIZENS OF NM WHO HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS KIND OF STUFF BEFORE.

This is beginning to defy logic totally.

Jenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiral on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

That is quite perplexing.

If it were really a problem of several tens of thousands of pilot lights needing to be relit you would think that they'd whip up a photo-tutorial and post it on a .gov website, with a nice disclaimer about attempting at your own risk. The 'crisis' would be over in a few hours.
Chiral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Jenna have you emailed your politicians about this? People of NM need to make some noise. I wouldnt have known about this if you hadnt brought this to my attension.

Strawberry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top